It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: need recommendations - what to read when it's done ?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:30 am 

to say i enjoy the nightside series is an understatement.
my problem is what to read (listen to actually; i do audiobooks thanks to a long commute to work everyday) next. :cry:

i already tried the 1st jack nightingale book by stephen leather. i enjoyed that, too. actually, that book led me to look for the nightside series.

thanks in advance ...

mlloyd1

Post subject: Re: need recommendations - what to read when it's done ?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:31 pm 

I really enjoyed The Chronological Man. It's really more of a novella though so it's not exactly a long read and you also have to have a kindle I believe. If you do though it only runs $1 and its fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Chronological-Man-Monster-Mist-ebook/dp/B0056A295I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318778850&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:23 pm 

More of Simon's work.

Bit of a no-brainer, really.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:43 pm 

valentine:

"The Chronological Man" sounds like a good read. Looks like I can only do that one when I'm home though. But, I will.

Thanks!
mlloyd1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:34 pm 

If you liked Nightside, I would heartily recommend the Bartimaeus books by Jonathan Stroud. Similar tongue in cheek style without really being a comedy. And a fantastic reader for the audiobooks (Simon Jones if you know the original Arthur Dent from Hitchhiker's Guide radio series).

There is also the other Green books. I would highly recommend the Secret Histories (Man with the Golden Torc, Daemons are Forever...) which also have a pretty good audiobook reader. Then there are the Deathstalker books. Fantastic Space Opera but a noticeably different style. Disadvantage is that the only audiobooks are Graphic Audio which are abridged. They are a fantastic production, but are produced in the style of a radio play with a full cast and sound effects, but have that drawback of being abridged. Still worth listening to though in my opinion (and one of the very few abridged books I would ever give the time of day to).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:15 am 

While the series I'm about to recommend isn't a fantasy detective series like the Nightside series, it's definitely in a similar "anything can happen" kind of tone.

I'd recommend checking out some of John Zakour's science fiction detective series. The first one in the series is The Plutonium Blonde, followed by The Doomsday Brunette. Like the good film noir that it's inspired by, there's always a woman involved in the title/adventure.

If you're feeling brave enough that you'll like it (and trust me, if you like The Nightside series as much as I do, you will), I'd even recommend getting the omnibus collections that DAW have put out: Dangerous Dames and Ballistic Babes. Each of them collect two novels.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:56 am 

if your into Paranormal-Detective stories, I would recommend the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher or the Matt Ritcher series by Tim Waggoner.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:52 pm 

i just reread The Nightside series; no surprise - it's still a favorite!
thanks all for the great suggestions; i've enjoyed them all so far.
just wondering if there are any new recommendations since i last waaay back asked in 2011?
i still prefer audiobooks, but kindle and even paper is also OK.

thanks in advance ...

mlloyd1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:09 am 

Have you picked up the Dresden Files yet? In an interview recently Jim Butcher stated that Harry Dresden would probably enjoy going out for a drink with John Taylor (they would compare trenchcoats).

And how about trying some of the following:

Lauren Beuke - she writes mixed books, but often falling on the slight horror side, with a fantasy setting - in one book it's time travel (shining girls) in another it's soul companions (zoo city)

Nick Harkaway - The Gone Away World is a personal favourite of mine and I'm really enjoying Angelmaker, with high recommendations read for Tigerman

Ben Aavonavitch - Rivers of London series, supernatural police procedural books set in and around London. Lots of fun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:27 am 

smaug

oh yeah, done all the Dresdens twice and loved 'em.
john taylor meets harry dresden - what a riot; i'd pay BIG for that one.
:D
they decide to go out for a drink and bump into john constantine ...
:lol:

rivers of london is great! i'm on the wait list for the next one (#5) as soon as it comes out at the library. just finishing a reread of #3, trying to time a reread of #4 just before #5 is released unless the date gets moved again.

thanks for the other suggestions, I'll start looking for them tomorrow.

TV? what's TV? All you need is some good books ...

mlloyd1