It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The last john taylor novel?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:52 pm 

While I agree that John Taylor as a notion has been run to ground after 12 books, I somehow feel that John Taylor had not seen enough. He has saved Nightside a few times, but there just wasn't the sense that it has ended.
John Taylor doesn't suit to be walker.
Maybe the future will hold another John Taylor novel.
Anyone feels that something else should happen?

Post subject: Re: The last john taylor novel?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:08 pm 

Personally, I feel that, as soon as an author feels ready to retire a story, they should.

Far better to end when it is right than to try and push one more (almost certainly sub-par) tale out, just for the money/fans.

If Simon feels he has done all he can with The Nightside (for now), then I'd rather he moved on from it than ruin it by writing something not up to standard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:19 pm 

I have to agree with Luc on this one.
I'd rather have it end here with a good story than end in shambles with a bad one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:03 pm 

I really don't see what else could happen to Taylor except for a Deathstalker-esque evolution in regards to his Lilith genes. Married, saved the world a number of times and has grown into a real mover and shaker of the Nightside.

Actually, I think one of Simon's greatest talents is how you don't really feel at a loss of any of his characters. Even the secondary ones get such a decent back story that we don't really need their own books as other authors have done to their own works.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:02 pm 

I agree with everything said here in fact I felt the same way reading Hell to Pay. It seemed to me while reading that book that Simon didn't really know what to write after he finished the series the first time around. However Simon did what he always does and sucked me back in with some amazing books after that umm less than fantastic book. What I would like to see is a stand alone novella or possibly short story of John and Suzie's son sometime in the future getting into all kinds of shenanigans(John and Suzie seem like that type of parents who would practice tough love ie making him own up to his own mistakes and know their child he'd probably be to bull headed to ask for help anyways.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:15 pm 

Do we know for sure it's a son though?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hilde wrote:
Do we know for sure it's a son though?

John and Suzie are currently on honeymoon so its a little early to tell. . .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:35 pm 

Hilde wrote:
o we know for sure it's a son though?
No the sex of the child has not been confirmed but the reason I say that is shall we say a freudian slip(or at least that's how I see it) of Simons during the series when John said something about he(in regards to the baby) will be running this place in don't remember the actually time frame but I think he said 20 years while talking to Suzie.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:01 am 

I had the pleasure of meeting SRG at Marcon a couple years back. He mentioned that the Nightside series was coming to an end. What I could never (nor do I think I wanted to) remember was if it was going to be after 12 books or 13. I kept thinking that 13 would be a more appropriate number for this series. And I think I just wanted another book. And I'm glad I didn't know as I was reading the latest that it definitively was the last of the series. Even when I was done, there was room to go forward.

I feel like this novel tied everything up rather well, like the best television series finales manage to do. There is also plenty of room for more stories from this universe if the stories that come are compelling enough to push aside some of the other stories in his head long enough for them to be written.

It would be fun to see what kind of mischief John and Susie's kid would get into. Here is hoping we get to see it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:03 pm 

Valentine Wolfe wrote:
Hilde wrote:
o we know for sure it's a son though?
No the sex of the child has not been confirmed but the reason I say that is shall we say a freudian slip(or at least that's how I see it) of Simons during the series when John said something about he(in regards to the baby) will be running this place in don't remember the actually time frame but I think he said 20 years while talking to Suzie.

I just saw that as a manner of speaking, possibly wishful thinking on John's part. I look forward to finding out more about the baby in a future short story. Or who knows, may be even a new future Nightside series :)