It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Looking for a quote.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

I know, I should know or be able to find this, but I can't...

I've had a request through the site for the location of a quote from one of the Nightside books and, while I remember reading it, I can't recall which book!

So can you lot help?

Here's the info I have;

'On several occasions Taylor passes someone begging in the Nightside and gives him or her money. The quote is something like he always gives those people something because we're all one bad decision away from being in the same place.'

I know there's one version in 'The bride...' but there's a longer one somewhere.
Can anyone remember where ??

Post subject: Re: Looking for a quote.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:26 pm 

The missus is good at this kind of thing, so I asked her. She obliged:

Something from the Nightside - Two: Getting There
"One man sang a thirteenth-century ballad of unrequited love in plain-chant Latin, while not far away another sand Bob Dylan verses backwards, accompanying himself on air guitar. The guitar was slightly out of tune. I dropped a few coins in both their caps. Never know when you might need a little extra credit in the karma department."

Nightingale's Lament - Three: Downtime in Uptown
"There were homeless people too, in shadowed doorways and the entrances of alleyways, wrapped in shabby coats or tattered blankets, with their grubby hands held out for spare change. Tramps and vagabonds, teenage runaways and people just down on their luck. Most passersby have the good sense to drop them the odd coin or a kind word. Karma isn't just a concept in the Nightside, and a surprising number of street people used to be Somebody, once. It's always been easy to lose everything, in the Nightside. So it was never wise to piss these people off, because they might still have a spark of power left in them. And because it might just be you there, one day. The wheel turns , we all rise and fall, and nowhere does the wheel turn faster than in Uptown."

The Bride Wore Black Leather - One: One Last Case
"The untalented and overambitious can often be seen hobbling out of the underpass with their instruments stuffed where the moon doesn't shine. I dropped the odd coin in every other outstretched hand I passed, on the grounds that the wheel turns for all of us, and karma can be a real bitch. The only difference between any of us and the homeless is one really bad day."

She thinks there are more, but those are the first three she could remember off the top of her head.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Luc, you're a total star!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:55 am 

Don't thank me, like I said, it was the missus. All I did was write what she showed me down.

She has a retentive memory when it comes to books. I mentioned the reference and she opened the books without any hesitation.

However, you are welcome. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:24 pm 

I think there was something similar in Hex and the City when Taylor goes to Rat's Alley to find Hearn the Hunter too, but it may have just been the quote and not the alms.