It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New to the Series/Audiobooks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:19 pm 

So, I'm new to this series, in fact, I just started Takes from the Nightside about an hour ago.

Let me explain a bit.

I run an audiobook blog, and am a cofounder of The Armchair Audies event. What we do is when the Audie awards (basically the Oscars/Grammy's of Audiobooks) nominations are announced, a bunch of bloggers choose categories, listen to all the books in the categories and review and make predictions. I always take the Speculative Fiction categories, Fantasy, Science Fiction and Paranormal. This categories has 16 nominees, of which I have already listened to 6, which means I have to listen to the other 10 before the last week of May. Since I listen to three to firve audiobooks a week depending on size, this isn't too difficult.

This year, The Bride Wears Black Leather was nominated. I have been aware of Simon R. Green for a while, but have yet to read or listen to any of his work. So, to adequately evaluate The Bride Wears Black Leather, I know I am going to have to listen to some of the back list. Yet, I'm not sure I can actually afford or find time to listen to all 11, while still listening to the other nominees. I can sneak one or two in print as well.

So my question is, is there a essential list of the series, ones I absolutely must listen to, while others I can put on hold to later? I know this is problematic with any ongoing series, but I don't want to just randomly choose, and I'd rather not read too may reviews of the series to avoid spoilers.

Any help will be appreciated. I probably won't review each title separately, but I will do an overall series review, as well as a review for the final novel. Also, I may drop in from time to time to give my thoughts along the way. So hi!

Post subject: Re: New to the Series/Audiobooks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:10 am 

In my opinion the story of The Bride Wore Black Leather is pretty self contained. It helps to be familiar with the characters but if you want to do that then you'll also be listening to entries in other series. And, of course, it makes references to various things in the previous books, but what series doesn't?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:48 pm 

Yeah, what Alvin said. There are some spoilers to people who haven't read the series but may want to invest themselves, but it's nothing significant enough that someone would rage for finding out, for example, what happens to Walker before they hit the 10th book.

The Bride Wears Black Leather, in my opinion, was not the "best" book in the series, but it is definitely a #2 or #3 entry on my list. I feel the best Nightside book is the 4th, "Hex and the City". Lots of characters, great story, plenty of setup, and so much richness you'll want to pour through the next book immediately. :D The same narrator Marc Vietor did all the audio books, available at least on Audible but possibly other sites as well.

If you want other terrific examples of Simon's work, the Forest Kingdom and Deathstalker books are great, both are available in audio form from Graphic Audio. Deathstalker was in their earlier days and doesn't have a very high production value, but still great voice acting. The Forest Kingdom books just came out in audio form a few years ago, so they sound more like you're listening to a play rather than a multi-actor narration.

Happy listening!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:09 am 

I guess what I really want to know is which books in the series are the "must reads" that would make my experience better when it comes to reading The Bride Wears Black Leather, and which would it be OK to skip for now, and maybe come back to later. I get that some books can be read without much backstory, but I also know that in a series, some books are more key than others.

People often say "Well, you don't need to read any" to understand a book, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't read any.

Basically, I know I won't be able to fit in all 12 books by the last week in May but I will be able to listen to maybe 5 0r 6 and I was wondering which they should be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 pm 

It would certainly be foolish not to read the first novel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:06 pm 

Luc wrote:
It would certainly be foolish not to read the first novel.

Which is why I said I had just started Tales from The Nightside in my original post. I've actually now listened to the first two books of the series. May start book 3 this weekend.