It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tales of the Nightside - SOILERS THEREIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:36 pm 

For Hilde.

Post subject: Re: Tales of the Nightside - SOILERS THEREIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm 

The Big Game:

I believe this one takes place between books 11 and 12. John has the watch (which means Walker is dead), but he still refers to himself as a private eye and wears the white trench coat instead of the black suit he wore at the end of The Bride Wore Black Leather.

I really didn't understand why vampires were "a big deal". Considering the many varied gods and monsters that inhabit the Nightside, why does a race of undead monsters pose a threat to it's very existence? Jessica Sorrow should be able to unbelieve them by herself. I thought the worms of the necropolis were a nice (if somewhat gross) touch.

Very good story, it was wonderful to return to the Nightside again. Was definitely the highlight of the book for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:55 pm 

YAY spoilers!

And what ate the previous Doorman?!

Getting Jessica Sorrow involved is like getting Hadleigh involved though, it's overkill and the story would be over far too soon ;)

Mind you, Jon realised he had to be Walker very quickly. And in book 11 he does refer to himself as Walker, and Julien gives him his first job as Walker to deal with the soulbomber in the Mammon Emporium, so he IS indeed Walker at that point already, as well as PI because his last double job is the Immortal's Ball in book 12.
He also goes home pretty much straight away after the events in book 10, so there is no way it fits in between then.
So I'm thinking it's set AFTER book 12, which leaves us wondering several things:
- why isn't Jon Walker anymore?
- Who IS the new Walker?
- Suzie's pregnancy? Did she have the baby at this point? Or was it just something going on no one mentioned during the story? (presumably because saying things "but Suzie, you are pregnant" will not end well for the fool that said it).

ALL THE QUESTIONS!

But you now, it couldn't have been THAT bad, because if they were really a threat against humanity, Hadleigh would have come in to kick vampire asses, because that's the kind of threat the detective inspectre deals with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:29 pm 

It was all that "is he or is he not Walker" and the lack of the mentioned pregnancy that made me think it was set between books 11-12. All speculation though, it was nice to have a straightforward John Taylor, Private Eye story. :D

Also, your obsession with Hadleigh is starting to become worrysome. Have you made your significant other cosplay as Hadleigh yet? If so, was he able to leave the house without you tackling him? I worry for the young sometimes... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:50 pm 

It just SEEMS worrysome, because you know this is the SRG forum, so it's just way more noticeable here.
In real life it's not even nearly as bad as it sounds :)

Cosplaying isn't my thing, I hardly have room to store all my steampunk stuff, I have no idea where I'd leave cosplay kit on top of that XD
Eventually I'll run out of room for more creative stacking with boxes XD
(it'll be a sad day indeed!)

Plus, let's be realistic, it's this kind of random or returning to virtual cookie plunder :P

I still don't think it's set in between book 11 and 12 though, because he did Walker type things in book 11. But it could be of course, unless Simon confirms a timeline we'll never know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:16 pm 

Well, I stand corrected. I've been relistening to audiobooks recently, and am currently enjoy "The Bride Wore Black Leather". John Taylor mentions to Julien Advent that he has diluted werewolf blood, as well as recovering after his fight with Dead Boy because of it.

I remember during the course of "The Big Game" after being nearly torn apart at the vampire club, Taylor was panting in front of the door after calling Suzie for help that he lamented no longer having werewolf blood to heal quicker. So cannonically speaking "The Big Game" has to take place sometime after the main Nightside series, which means Hilde's questions about "the Walker" are very... worrying. Time will tell I'm sure!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:32 pm 

Maybe we'll find out who ended up with the Walker job in the upcoming Secret Histories/Nightside crossover.