It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Discrepancy? (Beware--Spoilers for "Daemons" and "Haunted")
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:43 am 

Am I the only one who seems to have noticed this? I finished reading "The Spy Who Haunted Me", and I realized that there were some references to "Daemons Are Forever" that I didn't remember, so I went back and re-read the earlier book, and, man...now, I'm upset. Somebody's slipping here, and I don't want to think it's one of my favorite authors, but...

OK. The Soviet science city X37 that is one of the challenges in "Haunted"? They blew it up in "Daemons"--no trace left behind. In Chapter Fourteen, titled "Peace And War", it became a ghoulville, infested by Loathly Ones, and Harry Drood and Roger Morningstar (the half-breed demon) led a strike force into it. They set off a bomb that completely exploded the entire city AND all the Russian scientists and civilians who were there at the time. In "Haunted", the city is still standing, the buildings in perfect condition, and has been deserted for generations, merely ghost-ridden. WTF???

Furthermore...

In "Haunted", the character of Callan Drood is partnered with Subway Sue, who is described as "walking wounded". Uh--no, she's not. She died, quite dramatically in the climax of "Daemons", after coming back from the Damnation Way. It was revealed that Molly Metcalf, while she was infected by a Loathly One, killed her. So why is she up and walking around to be partnered by Callan???

Does Mr. Green need an index card system these days?

Post subject: Re: Discrepancy? (Beware--Spoilers for "Daemons" and "Haunte
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:21 pm 

I love SRG's works... but this series is riddled with these types of errors. I know he is having fun writing this series, but I do not think he has put the thought and effort into his research and writing for it. They have been the most repetitive, formulaic, and at times annoying of his books to read.

Here is every situation...

Drood fights impossible enemy that he is scared of, defeats him rather easily, never stops to rest/eat/sleep, repeat the enemy/victory sequence four or five times, come to final cliffhanger battle, Drood's win, with no real damage or harm to Edwin.

Sometimes I think he just cuts and pastes a lot of these novels from a direct formula.

Simon, you're one of my favorite authors... I know you can write new and better ideas with more depth and thought. If you're not sure how to do it, re-read Deathstalker book 1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:29 pm 

Add in another discrepancy:
Remember the legendary Drood whose energy Eddie taps into in Russia? The guy with the old Torc from the 11th century? In Daemons, we learned that the destruction of the Heart destroyed ALL old torcs - why does he still have his?

If the answer is that the torc was heavily modified, then why could Eddie, who wears the new torc, even contact him in the first place? The golden frog at the end didn't work on Eddie's new torc. Also, we found out that he had some strange and random ability to communicate through the new torc (strange how that just "appeared" 3/4 of the way through Haunted), but the old torcs didn't have that ability. So, we're not even dealing with the same strange matter creating the two torcs. I definitely did NOT get that part at all.

Just to add one more bit to this discrepancy - the Independent Agent had a stuffed and mounted Drood in his museum, still wearing its torc. Assuming that said Drood was not killed within, say, the previous timeframe, why is that torc still in existence? Don't the torcs disappear when the soul (to which it is bound, cite from Golden) is destroyed? That was a weird scene too...

--Databoy2k

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:14 pm 

Databoy--

Try his Nightside series, starting with "Something From The Nightside". I guarantee you they're much better and much more tightly written. This series is really starting to worry me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:16 am 

I missed that, with Subway Sue. Wow. And the city. Still, the part in the Sovieth city was so so awesome. I was so freaked. Really freaked. And I think that the first two novels were excellent and book 3 was mighty fine as well. I had issues only with book 4.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:00 pm 

I agree with sp0tted.

There is no sense that Eddie is ever in trouble except when he was first infected with strange matter. Or when he is trying to keep his cover as Shaman Bond.

I mean every situation. Big bad guy wades in, Eddie armors up soaks up tons of punishment and then casually tears him apart. I much prefer his other work, though later on in any of them the characters also tend to just end up being utter bad asses that wade through the common folk like a hot knife through butter. But at least they had their asses handed to them once or twice before they became super soldiers.

This doesn't stop me from buying his books, and re-reading them several times. But this series just isn't as good as his others. Cut in the discrepancies with continuity, concerning the torqs... while I'll still buy and read this series, I doubt I'll bother with any of it more than once.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:50 pm 

The baddies in book 5 are pretty dangerous, though. And remember - the most bada$$ characters in a SRG novel were the Maze survivors circa "Deathstalker IV". And they all died!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:37 pm 

Owen and Hazel got more bad-ass by the end of the series.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:44 pm 

I know, but I am talking about the original series...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:57 pm 

In that case, Hazel didn't die. Neither did Silence. and Carrion was (effectively) a Maze Survivor.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next