It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Voicing Disappointment (Spoilers Prevalent)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:23 pm 

This is a somewhat open letter to Simon Green. I'm a new fan, and have honestly only read through the three books in the Secret Histories series and a couple of Nightside books. I started with Nightside, but was HOOKED by Daemons are Forever. That said, I wanted to throw Haunted when I finished out of frustration and disappointment.

Before starting any of this, why the HUGE time-change between Daemons and Haunted? The issues posed by Eddie being a major player in the family and trying to birth democracy would have been FAR better than the paragraph that you used to describe what happened. Why did you do that? Why go from a family starting to stand slowly (though with the threat of all the problems still there) to writing the family out of the whole thing? The Droods are too powerful in your books - the weaknesses are all that they have to be interesting. And their biggest one was written out in a paragraph of explanation and a huge time difference between the books. That's just sad and a missed opportunity there.

It says on Wikipedia (I know, useless source... but still) that the Secret Histories series was supposed to be a trilogy, that was later expanded. I'm guessing, then, that you had already mapped out your ideas, but decided to go beyond the trilogy after finishing Daemons and before starting Haunted. The greatest missed opportunity was the Blue Fairy and the Torc. That's fine that he had no knowledge of how to use it, but was Blue not tricky enough to use this little "contest" as a means to get the information of how to use it? Why kill him off - he would have been a greater adversary for the Droods than anything else that you could have created! Haunted SHOULD have been about that (and, I'm going to guess, was supposed to be), and dealing with the traitor within the Droods. You could have finished the story arc, and yet still left enough in the tank for more books later. So, why kill off what could have become your most interesting enemy in the series, your own "Jaws", to keep the analogy to James Bond novels.

You already had your second story arc ready to go - Eddie's (and Molly's) parents. Book 4 could have easily focused on that, now that the traitor had been found and the Droods were installing democracy. The teases in Haunted were excellent, particularly as far as Molly finding a link between the parents (foreshadowed throughout the series thus far). Why not start a new trilogy around that? I appreciate that this is where you're going, but you have to admit that your writing around this storyline in Haunted was even shorter than Blue's tragic death. My point essentially comes from the Epilogue, which I wish you wouldn't have even added to the book. Eddie has had some slightly nasty opponents in the book, but NOTHING on the level of the hungry Gods, and has defeated the main enemy in the book with one punch to the heart. End of story. With neither of the main issues of the book resolved (traitor and parents), he goes home. Now you had already told us that one of his nightmares (not his worst, but still a present one) was based on his parents - their death has haunted him throughout the series. And when he sees his woman, who is investigating (and has turned up a juicy tidbit regarding) their deaths, he lays down next to her and falls asleep. Wow. Anti-climatic much? Why not tease us for the next book - have her badly damaged, and needing long-term care to cope with what she's found? Anything but laying down and having a nap!!!

I'm still a fan, but I'm truly frustrated by these three (and many other) issues with Haunted. Aside from a ghost writer doing that book, I truly have to ask why on EARTH you threw that book together to such a lower standard. I hope that book 4 is better (on my way to get it now), but please, make 5 and all subsequent books FAR better than that!

--Databoy2k

Post subject: Re: Voicing Disappointment (Spoilers Prevalent)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:26 am 

I must admit I've not finished Haunted yet but what I've read so far I quite like. Ok so it's a totally different kind of Secret Histories novel (I've read all the other ones) and it's not the best one of the series but it's not a bad book either.

And yay, Walker! I always wondered what he went to do in the world proper to get his Voice back. I really like it how all these series intertwine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:39 am 

The Spy Who Haunted Me made me stumble on the Secret Histories series as well - when I read the book it was the most recent entry in the series at the time, which didn't help. But don't give up, From Hell with Love is fantastic, and the death of Eddie's and Molly's parents continues to be a dangling plot thread in the background. (much similar to John Taylor's quest to find his mother through the first 4 books of the Nightside series)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:09 pm 

I swear if Lilith ends up being the mommy dearest of the Metcalf sisters I may blow a gasket.
Or at least go into a really big sulk.

I wouldn't go as far as say that I'm stumbling on the series, it's just not the best book of the lot, but I do find it quite enjoyable.
My main complaint is total lack of Harry and Roger (which will no doubt be my main complaint in this series from now on, unless they miraculously return from death's grasp, I can but hope :D)

Mind you I've not finished it yet, I may like it more or less when I have :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:59 am 

I liked the Spy. It was different SH novel, one, which I enjoyed much. I disliked From Hell with Love, the baddies were actually bullied from Eddie who was invincible in this book. For Heaven's Eyes Only was massively better and with great enemies. The satanists were real creeps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:32 am 

I've finished it now and I must say I quite liked it as well, for me too book 4 was the least of the series.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:23 am 

Hilde wrote:
I've finished it now and I must say I quite liked it as well, for me too book 4 was the least of the series.

Even the best authors have some so-so novels, but they can bounce back quickly. :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:15 pm 

truth right there! I'm glad I've stuck with Mr Green through the lesser ones, because sure enough, they were always followed by better books later on :)