It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Not that different really
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:47 pm 

While the concept and backgrounds of the characters are new and interesting, like most of Green's recent books I'm having trouble finding more than one character. Like with his recent Nightside and Secret Histories novels the characters all have different origins, but the same overall personalities and thoughts. Like one person with a bunch of different bodies.

"You both have the same height, the same build, you both talk the same, you both kiss the same, you both draw your guns the same way, and you both sing the same wrong words to 'Amazing Grace'." ----Maverick

Post subject: Re: Not that different really
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:18 am 

I am not sure why you think so. How is a traumatized man like Happy similar to the overconfident JC for example, or to the slightly insane Eric? I ask because I have read books with such problem, like "The Dreamers" series by David & Leigh Eddings and for me "Ghost of a chance"is nothing like it. Yes, sometimes the characters tell similar jokes, but this is normal among friends.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:46 am 

I enjoyed the book. Though I am curious about the characters. Their abilities and limits as well as more info about their orginization.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:27 am 
Site Admin

EdNemo wrote:
I enjoyed the book. Though I am curious about the characters. Their abilities and limits as well as more info about their orginization.

There'll be more info in 'Ghost of a Smile' when it get here.

And there a project in the works that you might all find interesting when it can be announced ! (more later in the years or very early next).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:07 pm 

I enjoyed the book as well. And I am curious to see if Melody's promised reward to Happy leads to a further involvement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:28 pm 

I can't wait for book two. The first one really charmed me and I am curious to see what monster will appear now, considering how powerful was the villain in book 1.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:10 pm 

Again I accept that Happy has a different background.

It's just that their THOUGHTS and ACTIONS are all the same.

Look atr Eddie Drood and John Taylor. When they see a demon riding on a man's back they both describe it the same way.

Throughout the first Ghost Stories book people kept thinking the same lines.

And I swear if one more character uses that "I will slap you and it will hurt" line...

I'm just saying that whatever their background lately too many of Green's characters THINK the exact same thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:15 am 

Well, that's what's referred to as a writing style. Most authors have a particular voice they use, and not many of them can reach outside of it. You'll find similarities between a lot of different works written by the author.
It's a bit more noticeable with SRG, as he's running three different timelines (four if you include Deathstalker). A lot of genre authors write a single series, so a consistent voice is fine. I.e. the Discworld series, or the Dresden Files or even the Anita Blake series. Internally, they have a consistent voice. You can also see it if you look at just one of SRG's series, i.e. the Nightside is written very consistently.
Unfortunately, when you have someone writing three series concurrently, their voice is going to be the same in all of them, and you're going to find similar archetypes cropping up in all. So despite them being nominally different series, they're going to come out quite similar.
If I were to offer a suggestion to avoid the problem, try reading some of his older work. His voice is different in those, and may well act as a sort of palate cleanser between his newer series.

Incidentally, on the subject of older works, has anyone got a copy of the story he wrote back in "The Alien Has Landed", called Richard Evans - Remembered? The Alien was a free magazine given away by Waterstones in 1998, and I'm having a hell of a job getting hold of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:06 am 

Yeah, you saw the same thing with David Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon, both of which are judged to be classics of the fantasy genre. He had two different heroes of two different universes, but they thought basically the same, used much the same words and often the same humor would crop up. But the books were so well-written that you really didn't care. I agree about the writing style argument. When an author finds his voice, he's going to write in that style, particularly if he's successful at it. And you can't deny Simon R. Green has been successful. ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:49 pm 

SaraCVT wrote:
Yeah, you saw the same thing with David Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon, both of which are judged to be classics of the fantasy genre. He had two different heroes of two different universes, but they thought basically the same, used much the same words and often the same humor would crop up. But the books were so well-written that you really didn't care. I agree about the writing style argument. When an author finds his voice, he's going to write in that style, particularly if he's successful at it. And you can't deny Simon R. Green has been successful. ;)

Actually I may not like if there is a sudden change in the voice.