It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Not that different really
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:34 am 

Oh, (unladylike word). Instead of Malloreon, which continues the Belgariad, and is set in the same universe with the same characters, I meant to say Elenium. That series has different characters, a different universe, different everything, really. But since it is written by the same author, it is told in the same voice. (And, incidentally, it is where Darth Sparhawk's name comes from. I highly recommend you read it, if you haven't already.)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am 

Yes, I too like both series very much. Only "The Dreamers" was so-so.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:13 pm 

I tend to agree, there are a lot of similarities between the different series (and the people in the series) that Mr Green is currently writing.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that Mr. Green is the reincarnation of Enid Blyton.

Why?

Enid Blyton wrote a lot of books and series. Simon Green writes a lot of books and series.

Enid Blyton was a successful writer. Simon Green is a successful writer.

Most of Enid Blyton's books in some sort of series. Most of Simon Green's books ar in some sort of series.

Sometimes when reading a book by Enid Blyton, you have the distinct feeling you have read this before. Sometimes when reading one of Simon Green's books, you have the distinct feeling you have read this before.

I think this proves my point!

So far I have only read the first Ghostfinders-novel. And while it was an OK read, I did not find it up to the "normal Simon Green standard". The book read like "this is the start of a new series, let us hope we can cram enough questions into this one to keep the readers coming back".

The problem is, most of the other Simon Green-books have been open and shut when you come to the end of it, only to realize in the next book that you were wrong and the answer is something completely different. THAT is what I want to read, not a lot of "you don't know much about this yet, but maybe I will tell you later".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:05 pm 

Well I think the idea behind this is very good.
I like the characters introduced in the first book.

BUT:
It made me think of Nightside version 2 and that was a bit disappointing to me. I expected something totally different and after reading it all I didn't feel like it delivered that way.

JC reminds me a _lot_ of John Taylor. Hell, his relationship with Kim is just like how John and Suzie started out, they couldn't touch either (ok these guys really can't, at all, but still).

That all aside, I'm still going to read the second in this series and see how I feel about that one.