It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A picture of the author as a young man!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

I've just move house (a 6 week nightmare!), but it's amazing that you find.

This picture was taken outside the Metropole hotel Brighton at the 1979 Worldcon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37th_Worl ... Convention).
I apologize fort the quality. It was taken with an actual 35m camera on a windy sea front (by my wife). The focus is a bit off, or maybe we were both just very, very drunk... after this long it's hard to say :)

Simon is on the left (I'm the fool on the right!).

This was just before he sold his first novel (the first Hawk and Fisher), and the first Worldcon he (and I) ever attended.

The con was huge by the standards of the the day. Tiny by the standards of today! the dealer room was a joy. Back then we had maybe 2 shops in the UK that had US import books and comics. No internet back then, no ordering everything from Ebay. If you couldn't find it in a shop you didn't have it :(

There were a good collection of US author there.
Fritz Leiber who was 69 at the time, and said the most exciting thing he'd done all con was to sit and watch the tide come in and go out and come in and go out. . .
We had Ben Bova autograph an AA book (that's the automobile association, not the other one), which confused the hell out of him! (we couldn't find any paper, okay).

Managed to offend both Bob Silverberg and Larry Niven. No, I won't say how, they may have forgotten.

Watched with interest as a woman chased Tom Baker through the hotel (he'd just started as Dr Who). She was calling 'Mr Baker, Mr Baker', nothing. Then, 'Tom, Tom,' Nothing. Finally 'Oh Dr.' at which point he swings around and goes 'yes', that way he does.

Simon left with at least a dozen bags of books and comics (restraint isn't in his vocabulary) and somehow made it from Brighton (on the train) through London on the tube and back to home carrying them all. I have no idea how he did that!

Anyway, thought you all might like to see the pic and have a few memory's of the event. I'll try to get Simon to add his when he has a chance.

Attachment:
Simon & Steve_1979_Brighton-v2.jpg
Simon & Steve_1979_Brighton-v2.jpg [ 211.51 KiB | Viewed 1920 times ]

Post subject: Re: A picture of the author as a young man!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:15 pm 

Thanks for the nice story :D Cool photo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:49 pm 

Excellent :) :D :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:39 pm 

You say 35mm like it's a bad thing! :P
I still shoot 35mm! Heck, my favourite analog format is 120mm.

mmmm film :D

Film > analog (but I'll be the first to admit that analog is fast and practical).