It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shadows Fall
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:00 pm 

This is a very original and interesting novel. I loved the strange city and the Faerie. What do you think about the novel?

Post subject: Re: Shadows Fall
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:40 am 

Not bad, but not my favorite Simon Green book. Not as well written as most of the rest, a touch too deus ex machina, and a little repetitive.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:10 am 

You mean the ending, I suppose, when you mention the deus ex machina. It is not my favorite ending either, but on the other hand the city was deliciously weird. Also I have never ever read the Faerie described so well and of course the battle with the Warriors was awesome, IMO one of the best Mr. Green has ever described (but the best for me will always be the battle for Mistport in "Deathstalker War").

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:08 am 

I just got around to finishing Shadows Fall and the only problem im having with it is when it takes place in the universe. The description of the land under the hill dosent match that of the sundered lands. Nor did it match the virgin earth they went to at the end of a hard days knight.

The only clues i managed to pick up was the complete lack of anyone mentioning Mab hinting that it happened well before Lary Oblivion releasing her from hell.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:22 am 
Site Admin

Mr Greed wrote:
I just got around to finishing Shadows Fall and the only problem im having with it is when it takes place in the universe. The description of the land under the hill dosent match that of the sundered lands. Nor did it match the virgin earth they went to at the end of a hard days knight.

The only clues i managed to pick up was the complete lack of anyone mentioning Mab hinting that it happened well before Lary Oblivion releasing her from hell.

Shadowsfall, I think, takes place after all other stories that have been written (or will be).
I think its safe to say that while it takes place in the same universe as the other story's it exists in its own timeline some what removed from all the other because of its purpose.

The point you raise about Mab is covered in the last Nightside (book 11), that was a point that was nagging at me until I read that one !!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:23 am 

Steve wrote:
Shadowsfall, I think, takes place after all over stories that have been written (or will be).
I think its safe to say that while it takes place in the same universe as the other story's it exists in its own timeline some what removed from all the other because of its purpose.

The point you raise about Mab is covered in the last Nightside (book 11), that was a point that was nagging at me until I read that one !!

You are most likely correct

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:50 pm 

Steve wrote:
Mr Greed wrote:

Shadowsfall, I think, takes place after all over stories that have been written (or will be).

Besides, the Elves change the look of their world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 am 

I don't know about anyone else but I saw that Shadow's Fall finally has an Audible audiobook version that came out on the 14th (my birthday!). I'm downloading it now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:19 pm 

I don't know why I haven't posted in this thread before, but let it be stated here that shadows fall is my favourite Simon novel, and I like a lot of his novels, and in my top 3 books ever (along with Good Omens and Nightwatch).

I adore it all, I love the land, I love the cameo's, I love the human characters, I love the none human ones, I love the enemy and I don't hate the ending :-)

How can you not adore a book who's opening line is 'there is a town where dreams go to die'?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm 

The beautiful Bulgarian cover. The book will be released in Bulgarian this Monday, on the 22th of April 8-) I have to say that I personally recommended the book to the publisher. Hopefully it will be a success and more SRG novels will follow.