It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Harry Dresden, Wizard
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:22 pm 

I finally decided to pick up the first Jim Butcher novel "Storm Front" a few days ago - mostly because it was maddening to see that quote on the front of every Nightside novel and I wanted to know what the hype was about. I'm about halfway through and overall it's pretty good. The main character Harry Dresden feels very real and human to me, often acknowledging his limitations in his internal monologue while at the same time admitting that he is much more than "just human". The story is interesting, just enough weird that it appeals to the SRG fan in me. I think I'll keep at it for awhile.

Anyone else dabbled in this series?

Post subject: Re: Harry Dresden, Wizard
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:23 pm 

I watched the TV adaption.

Not my thing, it must be said. (Same could also be said of 'Angel', 'Blood Ties' and similar supernatural detective types. They all seem to follow a similar formula, after a while.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:46 pm 

i also tried it out because of all the talk about how if i like this, then i should like that. i read storm front, and am currently going through the second book fool's moon. i like the series so far, it is humorous and dramtic to a point. the characters have good dialogue, and the plots are fun. although honestly, for my tastes anyway, the plot and the intrigues are a far cry from both the nightside and the secret histories. simon just has a way of adding the perfect amount of weird, engaging characters who are always dripping with a dry, sarcastic, self efacing wit. quite possibly i enjoy simons work more because on the scale between reality and insanity jim walks closer to the former while gratefully simon happily leaps off the latter end of the spectrum. for me the harry dresden novels, (so far at least), just dont deliver the equal parts fantasy, intrigue, sarcasm, and adventure that simon effortlessly employs in his books. to me they are good. but not awesome. i will continue reading the series though, because although i dont think they are on the same level, for me at least, as simons books, they are better than alot of other authors that i have picked up recently.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:02 am 

I read Storm Front. Solid book, but not imaginative like the Nightside novels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:37 am 

I read one book of the series (not stormfront, the one where his gf sortta gets turned into a vampire) and I was far from convinced. It was alright but nothing that made me go "yes, more!" at all.
I read the Harry Dresden short story in Mean Streets (only because it's the first and I tried to get at the Nightside story) and I still feel the same way about it.
It's just all kind of meh and not my thing admittedly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:19 pm 

Good summation Wolfling! Haven't seen you around in awhile, welcome back!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:48 pm 

I'm a huge fan of the dresden files series, and I have to say it really picks up after book 3. If you're not too sure on the series, at least read book 4, Summer Knight. I don't want to spoil it, but it's alot more fantasy and pays off with it at the end.and as the series progresses it gets more and more involved in the fantasy world,

I like this series because it has rules, the main protaganist may be very powerful, but limited in his way to use it. and it's not just snap you finger and something appears magic (which I'm not too fond of), theres inunivers rules as to why and how it can happen.

and aslo what i love is how the main , and sub-characters progress. Looking at the most recent books, and looking back at the first few you can see how much he's progressed from a hot headed young wizard, who does'nt do things without planning them through.

Oh and if you make it to book 12-changes- make sure you have the 13th -ghost story- ready to go. Baaaaad cliffhanger at the end of that one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:43 am 

The Dresden Files have pride of place right there on my shelf next to the Nightside ones. I personally consider them just as good. They're certainly rather different, having a much smaller pulp factor, but the complexity of the storylines, and the ongoing arcs easily match them up against the rather shorter from Nightside. Unfortunately, it is a series that you'll want to take a couple of books to get into, as certain things develop slowly. Honestly though, I reckon if you're not reading them, you're missing out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:51 pm 

Kingfisher wrote:
Unfortunately, it is a series that you'll want to take a couple of books to get into, as certain things develop slowly. Honestly though, I reckon if you're not reading them, you're missing out.

Maybe, but I hate this... I mean so slow development that you need several BOOK to see how the plot develops... I prefer faster reads. One of the reason I love the Nightside.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:36 am 

I think what Kingfisher meant is that the first few books are the first he's written (and sold) so are not his best.but they do get alot better.

Well, I've found with the Dresden files, the author sets up the plot for the single book, and usually resolves it within the same book e.g ,murder victim - find the murderer done for single book - next book hired to find something - finds item and retrieves it. But the author also manages to weave these subplots into an overall plot that spans the series (well so far). and with the mysteries, he leaves clues to the big surprises that you don't expect, which I like to think about and try to figure out and go "aha I was right" when it is revealed .

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next