It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Recommended reading for... Time Travel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:10 am 

Heh, loved the Technicolor Time Machine, though not as much as the Stainless Steel Rat books. Now THOSE are awesome, and funny, SciFi.

As far as Time Travel books go, I quite liked the Time Wars series by Simon Hawke. Good luck finding any new copies, but I believe you might have luck with used ones. I am not going to try to explain the premise, as that comes out over time as you read the series, and I don't want to spoil anything. But Hawke does take the idea of Time Travel as far as you can go, utilizing it in some seriously interesting ways. One of my personal favorites is his Warp Grenades. The concept is simple. Take a grenade sized nuclear bomb (advanced tech here, remember) then set the dial on it so that any part of the explosion beyond a certain radius is transported through time and space to somewhere (and someWHEN else) and you can have nuclear explosions contained within a radius of a few feet. Another awesome moment in one of the books is a temporal cascade, where two people armed with time machines try to kill each other, each one disappearing at the moment the killing blow is thrown by transporting to a safe time, then setting the time machine to place themselves behind the person who just tried to kill them, and so on, all in a split second.

Also, Kage Baker's novels of the Company. WEIRD series, but excellent. The premise in this one is that time travel is extremely expensive, so The Company goes back in time, takes children who would not have had an impact in history (saving them at what should have been their moment of death, or something similar) and then turning them into immortal cyborgs. They do this because The Company has discovered that history is immutable, but there are many places where history doesn't record what is actually going on. And the agents of the company work within these cracks to A. create the definitive history of the world, and B. save knowledge and artifacts whenever possible, by shuffling them around the world, so that things that were thought destroyed show up some place else much later on, or even just burying them in places that they know they will not be discovered until they can be dug up once the timeline catches up to where the Company started its time travel. The main character Mendoza does whine a LOT for an immortal cyborg, and much of the series is devoted to her unhappy romantic life, but despite that it is a great series.

Finally Leo Frankowski's Cross-Time Engineer series. A Polish man named Conrad, who happens to be an engineer, gets drunk and falls asleep in the basement of a bar. He wakes up, and finds himself in Poland in 1231, a couple of decades before the Mongols invade an devastate the country. Knowing what is about to happen, he takes it upon himself to change history by building the country's army, technology, and infrastructure up to a level that can withstand the attack. (yes, you WILL eventually discover why falling asleep in a bar leads to waking up in 13th century europe)

Those are the three that come to mind right now, though, I am sure I will think of others later.

Last edited by Fineous on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:29 pm 

Seeing your signature reminds me that time travel featured somewhat into the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy novels, as well as Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, both by Douglas Adams. Great reads all around.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:24 am 

Ahh, too true, how could I neglect to mention them. Especially since Douglas Adams even mentions the massively complex language devoted to explaining time travel.

I'd explain more, but I have never been able to get past the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional tense in Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations, so I don't really feel qualified to explain it.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:55 pm 

I started to read that, but it made me go cross eyed...