It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Something like Deathstalker?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:37 pm 

Can someone recommend me a space opera similar to "Deathstalker" or "Star Wars"? Note - I am not interested in hard or military scifi - I enjoy adventures in the stars with what I call "fantasy feel".

Post subject: Re: Something like Deathstalker?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:38 pm 

You might enjoy "The Mageworlds Saga", then by Debra Doyle & James D. MacDonald. They are some of my favorites. The first one is "Price of the Stars", followed by "Starpilot's Grave, and then, "By Honor Betray'd". Those three form the core trilogy, but you are further interested, (as I suspect you will be), there are other books that flesh out the story and the characters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:44 pm 

Thanks for the recommendation! I have noticed that there are very few books in this particular subgenre of the space opera - "Star of the Guardians" by Margaret Weis is another example, but it failed to impress me as the plot there moved far to slow for my taste.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:09 pm 

DS,

I like Steve Perry's Matador Series. It's not the vast space opera of Deathstalker ilk, but Perry write with a very sly sense of humor, and an eye for action that I really dig.

Jimmy Out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:49 am 

I might also add that some of the Warhammer 40K books are pretty good and with very similar atmosphere (a decaying empire, hostile aliens, vast scope etc). I recommend "Path of the Warrior" by Gav Thorpe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:04 am 

You might like Christopher Stasheff's Warlock series, which puts a hi-tech "warlock" into a fantasy world. Also Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series, although I don't know whether there is really a fantasy feel to them. CS Friedman's Coldfire trilogy is also a F/SF combination, but is a much darker work.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:30 am 
Site Admin

The Warlock stories are very good.

The Stainless Steel Rat book from Harry are great until you get to about book 6 (I can't remember the exact number) and the humour shifts and is more 'in your face' and (for me) just didn't work.

There's also Harry's Deathworld series, if you can find it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:50 am 

A few sci/fi classics

John Carter of Mars books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Action packed with lots of intruige.

A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lyndsay. Can be slow at times but has a dreamlike feel to it.

A few S&S classics
Elric(any of the stories) by Michael Moorcock. A brooding anti-hero and the Eternal Champion. Action packed with a large scope. Can be very dark at times.

Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber. Two companions in swashbuckling tales. Has great action and humor. Sheelba of the Eyless Face and Ningbauble of the Seven Eyes. Enough said.

A few more contemporary
SF/F
Heroes Die, Blades of Tyshalle, and Cain Black Knife by Mathew Woodring Stover. Great anti-hero(reminds me of John Mclain from Die Hard with a Tony Jaa's athletic ability) and great villians.

SF
The Lost Fleet stories by Jack Campbell. OP said he was not looking for military type SF, but this series is worth a look.

There are many more and I could fill up pages. These were just a few that popped into my head.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]