It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: these are the series i keep coming back to over and over....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 am 

i tend towards a certain flair for adventure with due sarcasm.

that being said, these are other author's series i would personally recommend:

laurell k. hamilton's anita blake series.
amazingly well done series of a vampire huntress turned almighty badass! highly recommended.

raymond e. feist's midkemia series.
i'm well aware that this is a site devoted to one of the greatest sci-fi authors (my personal opinion), however mr. feist has put out some incredibly well thought out fantasy books all revolving around the life and times of pug the magician. if you usually don't go for fantasy, this series may change your mind!

terry pratchett's discworld series.
if you enjoy sarcasm... then this is definately something for you!

margaret weis and tracy hickman's dragonlance series.
this is the very series that started me on my path towards near obliterating biblio-addiction. couldn't be happier!

stephen king the dark tower series
well, if you must, all his works are required reading... at least to me. sometimes especially the ones that didn't get the best reviews. always bound to find a diamond in that massive collection of works...

mario acevedo
i have only in the past two years begun reading his felix gomez series, but they are good page turners to be sure!

elisabeth moon
one of my earliest "diamond in the rough" finds.(i don't say this to discredit her other works. what i mean by "diamond in the rough" is that i found this series in a used paperback store sitting on a dusty shelf.) and to this day some two decades later i still remember most of the series in full. it's called the deed of pakssenarion. a must read!

some other authors who i've read the most (and pretty much all of their books as well):

steve alten
great modern day science fiction/fantasy stuff

steve benchley
where would we be without his terrors of the depths?

s.m. stirling
excellent post-apocalyptic work!

piers anthony
a master to be sure, but wasn't included up top because, frankly, i haven't read his books alot in recent years. mostly pratchett's fault.

orson scott card
another series that i grew up with and should not be missed

terry goodkind
the sword of truth series is simply amazing.

* * *i am purposely leaving out tolkien, herbert, le guin, c.s. lewis, and bradbury because they are pretty much givens for ANY top series lists in my opinion!* * *

Post subject: Re: these are the series i keep coming back to over and over
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 am 

I agree about Raymond Feist. Truly a great author.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:47 am 

The dark tower series was great until the end. Orson Scott Card makes fantastic stories that I have read since I was a kid. I actually wore out my schools copy of Ender's Game .Twice. Eventually I had to buy them one and buy myself one so I would stop destroying it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:50 am 

Piers Anthony's "Incarnations Of Immortality" series is really good, much better than his "Xanth" series, which I haven't bothered with since I was about thirteen.

Also, for those who like space opera along the lines of "Star Wars", I would suggest Debra Doyle & James McDonald's "MageWars" series (beginning with "The Price of the Stars")--again, excellent. And there's also some magic in there; it's not just straight sci-fi. I keep coming back to those books.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:53 am 

And, of course, you can't leave out the great David Eddings--his "Belgariad", "Malloreon", "Elenium", and "Tamuli" series are classics. Pick up a copy of "Pawn of Prophecy", if you haven't already and you'll see what I mean.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:28 am 
Site Admin

I'll add a vote for the Belgariad series.

fantastic series.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:34 pm 

If you like non-stop hardcore adrenalin action, then you should try Matthew Reilly's Shane Schofield series (Scarecrow) starting with Ice Station.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:46 pm 

thanks grant, i look for next time i go to the bookstore :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:19 am 

SaraCVT wrote:
And, of course, you can't leave out the great David Eddings--his "Belgariad", "Malloreon", "Elenium", and "Tamuli" series are classics. Pick up a copy of "Pawn of Prophecy", if you haven't already and you'll see what I mean.

So true. I have wonderful childhood memories from these series. I even liked "The Redemption of Althalus"!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:03 am 

Oh, yes, "The Redemption of Althalus"...I have to admit I liked that one, too, although I DID have to re-read a couple of parts a few times to understand the concepts of what exactly the characters were doing. The magic got VERY abstract in places, don't you think? But Althalus himself was a delight.

However, you could make a case that Eddings was just writing the same book over and over again with differently named characters. Althalus was much like Belgarath, when you got right down to it, and Emmy was a lot like Polgara. Anya was sort of Ce'Nedra--she was even very small--and Gher resembled Errand/Eriond.

And the "Tamuli" and "Belgariad" both had a powerful blue stone and an evil god that had to be destroyed. But they were enjoyable, for all that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next