It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: these are the series i keep coming back to over and over
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 pm 

Eddings is a bit repetitive, but so are many other fantasy authors, I have to say. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:47 pm 

For me the author i keep returning too in the urban fantasy genre (other than Simon of course!!) is the great Jim Butcher.
The Dresden Files are simply amazing. I find them more serious than the Nightside (for me two high-concept descriptions of them could be "Raymond Chandler meets Joss Whedon" or "Buffy the Vampire Slayer written by Harlan Coben.

Harry Dresden is a wonderful fully-formed character living in a brilliantly realised world rich with supporting characters and detail.

If you've never read them i can highly recommend them.

I only started reading him as i saw his blurb on SRG's Something from the Nightside. These are the two series i read the most.

If you like detective fiction (with a supernatural hint...i'll say no more than that) try John Connolly's Charlie Parker series.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:46 am 

And of course there is always Tanya Huff--excellent, excellent work. I would recommend her "Blood" books for a truly GOOD vampire character--Henry Fitzroy is the only real vampire to me. The bastard son of Henry VIII, he is certainly compelling. And there are also a couple of detective characters thrown in. I don't know why I didn't mention her work sooner.

Another series by her that is truly outstanding is her "Keeper's Chronicles", starting with "Summon The Keeper". What I love the most about her work is the humour, very like Simon's, now that I think of it...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 am 

IMO the other urban series are not as ambitious and weird as "The Nightside"... I have started "Dresden Files" and "Blood Ties" novels, but they are not as great as "The Nightside" IMO...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:36 am 

I started the "Elric" saga by Michael Moorcock. So far it seems interesting. Any fans?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

Darth Sparhawk wrote:
I started the "Elric" saga by Michael Moorcock. So far it seems interesting. Any fans?

Yeah about 30 years ago when they first came out... Thank you for making me feel really old now :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:09 pm 

I'll join you on that wagon, Steve... sometimes the young'uns make me feel really old too. But on the other hand, what's that saying--something like "old age and experience win out over youth and enthusiasm every time"?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:55 pm 

I'd quite like to recommend the newPeter Grant series by Ben Aaronvitch. Tales of a policeman who's apprenticed to the only wizard on the Met. Wrritten very well, and with an excellent story.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:27 pm 

SaraCVT wrote:
I'll join you on that wagon, Steve... sometimes the young'uns make me feel really old too. But on the other hand, what's that saying--something like "old age and experience win out over youth and enthusiasm every time"?

Tell that to Sebastian Vettel and Michael Schumacher (F1-joke)
Back on topic, I have read two thirths (spelling?) of "Elric of Melnibone" and so far am enjoying it very much. I am a sucker for such decadent characters as Elric and the Melnibonians in general - in the "Deathstalker" I immediately liked Valetine and Kid Death. The only thing which I don't like is that the characters are awfully serious all the time and talk pompously like Elrond. I prefer more humorous dialogue. But the atmosphere is totally cool and the pace is fast.
Kingfisher, thanks for the recommendation! Can you tell is more about the series, is it action-packed and epic, or more focused on detail and characters, or both?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:46 pm 

It's rather small in scope (at least the first one is, second one seems similar). Very focused on police procedure, with aspects of mystery thrown in. It's a bit like Morse, if Morse was really good at magic, and Lewis was learning magic from him and they investigated supernatural murders.

There's nothing on the scale of the nightside, but there are hints of there being quite a few bits and pieces to explore.