It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: these are the series i keep coming back to over and over
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:14 pm 

Kingfisher wrote:
There's nothing on the scale of the nightside

So true! ;)
But thanks for the info! Sounds like a funny and original story!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:18 pm 

*hangs head in shame*

Molly Harper's Nice girls don't series.

I know I know, it's only one step up from the Southern Vampire series and it's basically nearly a dimestore novel but it's just SO hilarious.
Normally I wouldn't go near this sort of book with a ten foot pole, but I found the second in the series in a bookstore in Aachen (known for having the oddest and most epic things in their collection) I just had to read the back because the cover was so overly ridiculously FAIL.
And then I just had to open it and no matter how much my best friend tried to stop me from getting it, she failed and I was right: it was epicly hilarious and totally out there.

And now I own all of series currently available on kindle.
(I used to own the 2nd and 3rd book in paperback too, but I lend it to a girl who I was friends with and then decided she didn't want to hang out with any of her friends anymore and so yeah, not got them back. I hate it when stuff like that happens.)

And yes I do look forward to the next book, if only to see how badly the main characters wedding will go wrong :D
And what kinds of stupid all her friends and family will pull next :D

And if Philip Reeve ever writes another Larklight book I shall preorder it and eagerly await it's arrival at my home, yes I will.

That aside, I really do like Discworld, but selectively. I love the Nightwatch, and the Lancre Witches, but I never really managed to follow all the rest of it. Shame on me, I know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:56 pm 

Just something similar, set in London "Midnight Riot" and "Moon over Soho" by ben Aaronovitch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:39 pm 

The new Nice Girls Don't book is out, I shall take my kindle to class tomorrow and activate wireless so it ends up on there (no wifi at home alas).

Jane has a childe now so then it'll really be Gilmore Girls with fangs hahahaha *stoked*.
I also read Driving Mr Dead, which was hilarious.
(also by Molly Harper)

I know, it's horrid useless supernatural chick lit, but it makes me laugh!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:45 am 

I definitely recommend Jim Butcher's Dresden books (ignore the TV series, it completely failed to capture any of the essence of the TV series.)

I agree with most of the posts others have recommended, but I would like to make a recommendation of my own.

Kate Griffin's

A Madness of Angels
The Midnight Mayor
The Neon Court

These are a totally new form of Urban Fantasy unlike anything I have ever read before. They are set in London, and the main character, Matthew Swift, is a Sorcerer, a man who is one with the magic of cities. The magic in this book is simply amazing in its creativity. Sorcerers don't use magic so much as they ARE magic.

Add to that the fact that Matthew died before the first book even begins, and you have a pretty awesome story.

If you haven't read Kate Griffin, go and give her a try. (apparently she also writes young adult stories under the name Catherine Webb, but I have not yet ready any of those yet.)

I'll probably have more books to recommend later.