It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:56 pm 

I continue to peruse the depths of Urban Fantasy for a fix until the next SRG book. On a lark I just started a series by Benedict Jacka about a mage named Alex Verus. There doesn't seem to be a lot of "hidden world" backdrop like in the Dresden books, but the characters tend not to interact with many "normals" and instead just operate in their own little society.

A general summary is that the main character is a diviner living in London and can see probable futures. However, he refuses to align himself with either of the two major bodies of mages so he operates as a "free agent" of sort, which both helps and hinders him. He has a cast of allies both other mages, mages-in-training, and non-humans such as an air-headed air elemental and a gigantic spider who can weave magical clothing.

The writing style is very easy to fall into, and I am really fascinated with how Alex uses his magic to solve problems. Worth taking a look at the preview on Amazon just for the poke at Dresden. ;)

Amazon US

Amazon UK

Post subject: Re: Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:54 am 

I've got one or two of these books in my wishlist.

However I have over 100 books in my wishlist and a backlog of dresden files and thraxas to get through first :D

But from your review, it probably won't get removed until it's bought - thanks for the review.

Post subject: Re: Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:05 pm 

I have now read every one of these books and wait impatiently for the next one!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]