It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New interview with Simon.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Noooo....

He doesn't dislike them at all. He enjoyed writing them, and there was always a slight 'back door' if you like for more after the first series (hence that last line of the last book...).

The publisher was asking for more afterwards, to which Simon would always say 'How! their all dead??'

Then at a Worldcon (I can't remember which) they talked him into a breakfast meet. Now Simon's not a morning person (At all).
His publisher is sitting there with a full plate of god knows what (have you seen what 5 star hotels in the US serve up!) and Simon's sitting there nursing a black coffee trying to remember which country he's in, never mind which state and the question of more Deatherstalker books come up. And in a haze he says 'how about Deatherstalker the next generation then?"
And she goes 'Great, we have three of those..."

And there you have it !

Darth; Publisher are the driving force, far more than they used to be.
If they don't like the idea, there's no point even putting pen to paper (unless you're at the level of Stephen King or the like and Simon's no where near that).
If they think they won't make a profit they won't buy, if they won't buy there's no point writing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:46 am 

I love the depiction of the breakfast meeting, I almost smell the eggs from here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:16 pm 

It is not so much that I dislike them, it is simply that they did not feel needed.

The books are called 'Deathstalker', and I thought the series ended with Owen's demise.

Had I been writing the 'next generation' (this may be why Simon is published and I am not), I would have used the Darkvoid Device as the primary character against the Terror (as an alien species, rather than *insert spoiler here*). The sheer level of powers at play in the book would allow a really nice depth of characterisation (check out Mike Carey's Lucifer series of comics for how this could work.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

The Terror was always (insert spoiler), but there was no way of giving that information in the first series. The fact that it was (spoiler) wasn't created for the second run of books.

When the saga was finished (or Simon thought it was finished) it was just one of those many plot threads that had been worked out but for which there was no way for it to be used.

So, I suppose, that by being talked into doing the next three books we all got to find out what Simon knew from the start. . .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:30 pm 

As I said, there are reasons why he is a published author, and I am not. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:43 am 

Yes, I even remember an interview, which was given prior to the publication of the latest Deathstalker trilogy and Mr. Green said something like that the readers will be really freaked when they understand what the Terror really is.
About the publishers, I am not sure why they doubt the success of more "Deathstalker" novels. I am pretty sure that if presented well in sites and fanzines, a galactic fantasy saga is going to be very successful, especially now, as the "Star Wars" series is getting momentum again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Its purely and wholly down to money.

Each of the last 3 books sold slightly less than the one before. So the accountants (who its seems run publishers now) deem that any more would sell even less, therefore there's no point.

I'm sure you can all see the multiple flaws in that thinking, but that's the current position.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:39 pm 

I just want more Forest Kingdom/Haven/Hillsdown/Redhart books.

Failing that, something about Jimmy Thunder would be cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:48 pm 

I blame the book shops for the lack of sales of the last Deathsalker volumes. My local Waterstones is useless!

When it was the original saga and the book store was Ottakers I had no problem getting the latest addition, also the SRG section was always easy to find with a good range...

After ottakers was bought out by Waterstones, to my dismay SRG practically disappeared from the scifi section and I only managed to get the new copies of the saga from WHSmiths by special order.

Its the same for all SRG books in waterstones, its not easy for me to get the latest secret histories or the nightside volumes, what I'm trying to say is... RECENT BOOK STORE FAIL!

I know I can buy online... but i like to buy a book, from a book store; it just doesn't seem right otherwise.

What was worse is that the covers don't match my original series, and the books are alot bigger which looks out of place on my book shelf. That's what happens when you order in from WHSmiths... couldn't really send it back and say I want it with a different cover and smaller size because every time i stare at my book shelf and see the 3 books on the end that don't match... it bothers me!

I forget my original point, but there was one i assure you

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:55 pm 

Oh forgot to add,

If Simon where to release a new Deathstalker title, I would protest outside my local book store to make sure they not just stock it, but give it its own designated display which i believe it thoroughly deserves.