It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:34 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello and Thank You for Wild Magic and Nightside Daydreams;
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:21 am 

Hello.

Please forgive the following rant, which is probably going to sound ridiculous (and I do apologize for that).

I’ve been reading Mr. Green’s books ever since I was a little girl. I’ve always had a fantastic imagination, and his books were right there to help me feed and sculpt it. I fell in love with the Blue Moon series first, then the Hawk and Fisher one. I loved them so much that, despite going through boatloads of education and being an English major in several novel classes, I could never find an author I loved more. Some people fumble when asked ‘well, who’s your favorite author?’, but I never had to think about it. I’ve always been proud to throw Mr. Green’s name to the forefront, and to (kindly) beat people over the head with his books until they read them and go “oh wow this is awesome!”

I’ve been following this web page, and the old one, for many years. I’ve been something of a ghost, poking my head into the forums, looking for updates, and at one point I remember that I had an opportunity to email Mr. Green directly. I told myself, told my friends, that I would surely do it, because he deserved to know how wonderful his writing is, and how inspirational.

But, for some reason, I’ve always been too terrified to open my mouth. I’ve been watching these forums for months… thinking I should say something. Post something. And it must be silly to everyone who travels these forums so naturally, to think that there is a young woman sitting at this keyboard with her arms shaking and boasting a lopsided smile as she confesses that Simon R. Green is a man after her own heart in terms of sheer writing style and talent.

You wouldn’t believe the things they teach in creative writing courses now. They encourage everyone to tone down descriptions, to go without introduction, to say everything in dialogue… Rules I never wanted to follow, and rules I’m not bound by when I can read these books. I’ve was separated from Mr. Green’s work for a long time. Back to back novel classes really took away my will and ability to read for leisure. Especially when I was trying to digest A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man in less than a week.

I returned to his work when my brother died two years ago. I had picked up The Man With the Golden Torc and started it during a difficult time in my life. It got set aside after the services, but I eventually picked it up again, and the rest of the Secret Histories series with it. After reading The Spy Who Haunted Me, I fell in love with Walker, and immediately started reading the Nightside novels, going so far as to buy 10 of them at once.

A funny story, about the Secret Histories Novels, is that I read at least two of them while I was waiting in line for attractions at Disney World. I ran out of reading, and demanded my current group help me find a Books a Million that was still open at 10 at night in Orlando. We had to drive for half an hour on a really creepy and deserted toll road, not even remotely sure we were going the right way, before we made it. To make matters worse, I’d called the store, asked them if they had the books in question, and they flat out told me “no.” I refused to believe this and went anyway. Sure enough, after searching the shelves thoroughly, I found them and was well equipped for the next day.

Though I guess that’s a weird story to tell for an introduction post.

That aside, I just wanted to take this time to say ‘Thank You.’ To Mr. Green, to Steve, to all the fans that help support these series’ and their fandoms. I consider myself an articulate person, but trying to find the words to tell someone ‘thank you for writing the books that saved my life’ is such a difficult task. I was able to escape into the Nightside for a while, and I plan on making return visits. There have been times where I’ve read for 12 hours a day and it has taken me away from some of the most stressful situations in my life. It is because of these novels I was able to come away from hardship smiling, walking through a night-based daydream of neon lights and crowded streets.

Thank you, Mr. Green, for sharing your gift with us. Thank you for taking the time and care to weave out the tales of the characters I’ve grown to love like close friends, and for shaping the places I can only hope to walk through in my dreams.

Post subject: Re: Hello and Thank You for Wild Magic and Nightside Daydrea
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:31 am 

Welcome!

Always good to have more people to talk to about my favourite books. (Well, most of them... Simon didn't write Beowulf.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:19 am 

Welcome! It may be simply a coincidence, but I have read novels by Mr. Green in tough times too and they are the perfect refugee.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:52 am 

Luc wrote:
Well, most of them... Simon didn't write Beowulf.

As far as you know - he might fall into a timeslip at some future date.

I had a close friend in college who was a literary arts major, and she was also frustrated with the novel and writing courses and their strict dictation on how the student should develop (and mind you this was 15 years ago). College is less about developing young minds and more about rubber stamps now. Very disappointing.

So, the cat's out of the bag and now you are posting, welcome to the fold! No shyness now, you'll have to continue posting. Or we'll send Deadboy after you. Wearing something distressing. You don't want that now, do you?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]