It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 6:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hi from BoA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:11 pm 

Hi,

Looking for advice, really. The only Simon Green book I've read so far is Drinking Midnight Wine (and very pleasing it is to know you live in the Secret Heart Of The Universe) but since I live about 6 houses away from the author (we don't know each other but we nod when we pass in French Grass) it would seem a good idea to read more.

Where should I start?

CC

Post subject: Re: Hi from BoA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi and welcome to the site.

If you enjoyed the fantasy of Midnight Wine you could try the Nightside or the Hawk and Fisher books.
If you like SF then Deathstalker is your friend :D

I always think of BoA being the Secret Heart Of The Universe when drive through. I think it might be a secret because it is so hard to drive through, certainly now they're working on the old factory in the centre!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:29 pm 

What's your poison?

- Sci/fi - The Deathstalker series is a great space opera, but may be a little hard to locate a physical copy (Kindle is always an option)
- Fantasy - The Forest Kingdom saga is great. Start with Blue Moon Rising, then the Hawk & Fisher series, then Beyond the Blue Moon, plus the rest of them. Again though, hard to find in print, but yay for Kindle!
- Modern/urban fantasy/pulp noir - I LOVE the Nightside series, my favorite of them all! After devouring them I'd suggest the Secret Histories then the Ghost Finders series if you're hungry for more afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:10 am 

Well in the dim distant days of my youth (1950's - 60's) I was a pretty omnivorous reader. I read a lot less now, but from the genre the last books I read with pleasure were Iain Banks' Culture books plus Pratchett's Discworld novels. So I guess the choice is wide open.

Thanks for the replies.

CC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:40 pm 

You'll probably find the Nightside closest to the Discworld series, although much darker and ruthless.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:32 pm 

If you liked Drinking Midnight Wine (as a former Bradfordian, I can understand your empathy), Then I would suggest reading Shadows Fall and then moving onto the Blue Moon (and Hawk and Fisher) books.

Then onto everything else he's done.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]