It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I can show you a similar trick involving your teeth
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:39 pm 

Hi, I've been an avid reader of anything Simon R Green puts out.
Haha I know it's rather crude that I chose this name,couldn't resist..but Oh well, I can always do something Mean and Nasty to anyone who has an opinion
Cheers,
John Taylor

Post subject: Re: I can show you a similar trick involving your teeth
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:51 pm 

Welcome good to have you :D . I also felt compelled to name my handle after a SRG character.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:26 pm 

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay (and stay away from the brandy, it's in a bad mood)!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:50 am 

I have worked in bookstores my whole life. I have always loved the job, and ended up managing a Borders bookstore for about 10 years, until Borders went belly up due to lousy management. Now I am currently out of work, and debating whether or not I should actually try to write one of the stories I have had up in my head for the last couple of decades.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

syedshah20 wrote:
I have worked in bookstores my whole life. I have always loved the job, and ended up managing a Borders bookstore for about 10 years, until Borders went belly up due to lousy management. Now I am currently out of work, and debating whether or not I should actually try to write one of the stories I have had up in my head for the last couple of decades.

Simple answer, yes you should.

The single hardest thing to to do, is to start. Any writer will try you that. There's ALWAYS something else you feel you should being doing (trust me on this, I have Simon on the phone for hours, just because he doesn't want to start writing!).

No one can tell how to write (although there are a lot people who'll try to sell you a system). Everyone has their own process. What works for one won't for for another.

For example; Simon will hand write a chapter breakdown, then (hand write) details over 2 to 4 drafts and only then will he fire up the pc. Also he won't do any of that until he has the beginning, middle and end.
Other authors will just start with an idea not knowing where they're going.

Each has it's own merits. On the first system you'll know what you're going to be doing, and where you're going the moment you sit down at the word processor. The negative is, the prep beforehand will take quite some time.

The second gets you going on day one, but you may than have to edit the early pages later on as things come up (like introducing more cast, or foreshadowing something or other).

Oh, and did I say. Yes you should :)