It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Religulous
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:02 pm 

I know it's been out for a good while, but I'm just rewatching it with my best friend and I keep on finding this sheer genius!
Seriously, everyone with even an ounce of interest in religion should watch this.

official site

Post subject: Re: Religulous
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:14 pm 

I watched that, and seem to remember it was amusing but nothing I hadn't seen/heard before.

I guess if you're new to the skeptic side of things it's new and thought provoking. And even if you're not new to it, it's an amusing documentary.

Truthfully though ... it didn't leave much of an impression on me, I'm struggling to remember anything specific about it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:36 pm 

I (gonna play devils advocate here(lol devil’s advocate in a discussion about a religion)) was incredibly offended by this movie not because it put down religion, but because of the way Bill Mahar came off. He was doing the same thing that he was supposed to be standing against. He was intolerant of anyone else’s opinions when someone tried to calmly and rationally(I know taking about religion in a rational manor can be seen as and oxymoron depending on personal beliefs but bear with me here) he would attack them and belittle them without listening at all. He would get defense when someone would argue a point with him. To me there were large parts of the movie where I was more compelled by the religious leaders because Bill Mahar came off as being more driven by intolerance then they would…plus he’s just seemed like a douche a lot of the movie. Overall he just seemed very Hypocritical for large chunks of the movie.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:42 pm 

Valentine Wolfe wrote:
He was intolerant of anyone else’s opinions when someone tried to calmly and rationally(I know taking about religion in a rational manor can be seen as and oxymoron depending on personal beliefs but bear with me here) he would attack them and belittle them without listening at all.

Atheists are like this, from my experience they are hugely intolerant and aggressive. Sorry if I have offended anyone - this is just my opinion. Not that there aren't religious cretins as well :?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 pm 

(Most) people are (mostly) dumb. Shouldn't be a surprise that idiocy appears in the religious.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:07 am 

sigh should have just kept my mouth shut.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:37 am 

Not at all.

You attacked his methods and style, not the man himself. You also didn't defend the 'opposition'. Your points work well.
I just went for a cheap shot. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:16 am 

Luc wrote:
(Most) people are (mostly) dumb. Shouldn't be a surprise that idiocy appears in the religious.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:22 pm 

Valentine Wolfe wrote:
sigh should have just kept my mouth shut.

Not at all! You're entitled to your opinion and I'm sure that we can all be mature adults and agree to disagree when we have different opinions :)

@ Darth: I have to admit that most atheists I know are like that. Not all of them, but sadly it does seem to go for the vast majority.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]