It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:34 pm 

Twilight movies are abominations.
As are Twilight books.
I shall continue to avoid them like the proverbial plague.

I'd love to avoid the next Hobbit movie too, but I fear the husband will make me to go to the cinema with him. I'm hoping that his brother will go see it with him so I can stay at home and spend those 3+ hours doing something else other than paying to be bored inside a cinema.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:34 am 

So... I saw The Hobbit 2 yesterday.

Bad fan-fic is the kindest thing that can be said about it.

Pretty much everything has been changed. That is not a good thing, I can assure you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 pm 

I'll save my ticket money, sorry to hear it was worse than you were expecting Luc. :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:51 pm 

I had deliberately low expectations from this movie. And they were not low enough!!! :x

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:53 pm 

Now that I have had the chance to calm down and consider The Hobbit 2, I can put my words into a coherent fashion.

Here is my proper, spoiler-free review of it:

The film only has a passing acquaintance with the storyline of Tolkien's work "The Hobbit". The changes are not good ones.

Ignore irate fanboyness for a moment and let us look at the film itself, compared to the rest of Peter Jackson's franchise.

I watched the HFR3d version and, quite honestly, I think the quality level was too ambitious. The CG effects suffered from such high resolution, as did the quality of the props and scenery. With the definition so high, ever single fault could be seen. The camera movements felt, at time, like the sort of thing I would expect from a zero budget fan film.

Then there was the acting. Many of the cast felt like they were just having a pay day. A lot of the acting was stiff and wooden and, to be frank, Evangeline Lily seemed like she was out of her depth. I was beginning to wonder whether Tauriel just was constantly suppressing the giggles.

Finally, the storyline, compared to the previous releases in the franchise... It was the sloppiest storyline and had a very definite sense of 'filler' to it. Nothing really happened, when you think about it.

Overall, it had its amusing moment and could be seen as an entertaining movie but we should expect better from Peter Jackson, and should hope for better for the Tolkiens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 pm 

My first thought reading your synopsis was "who the hell is Tauriel?", so I Googled it and got the following from Wikipedia:
Quote:
The character does not appear in the original book, but was created by Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh

Uhh... Peter Jackson went fanfic with a well-established and beloved cannon. This does not bode well.

Then I read the rest of your review. Yep, it did not bode well at all. It's sad to see something so great become filler material to gather consumer dollars at the ticket counter. This trend of splitting up single movies into multiple parts is a really bad idea, and it sounds like this movie would have been better compressed and fit into the book end titles.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:41 pm 

Put it like this:

The Fellowship of the Ring: 187,790 words
The Two Towers: 156,198 words
The Return of the King: 137,115 words (excluding appendices)
(The Lord of the Rings trilogy: 481,103 words)

Takes three movies.

The Hobbit: 95,356 words

Takes three movies.

Source

The intention was to write new material, so that Jackson and co could tell the story of the necromancer of Dol Guldur. Even so, three movies? Really?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:34 pm 

I honestly loved the movie and I didn't like part 1. I loved the new stuff, especially Bard and the Elves. The dragon was also, in my opinion, awesome.
However, unlike part 1, which I watched in HFR, I saw this one in IMAX 3D, which for me is the best format and you are truly part of the movie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:27 pm 

I saw it in old skool 2D, hell yeah!
3D etc can go die in a fire (unless it's Tron Legacy, then 3D is awesome).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:09 pm 

For me IMAX is key - I like 3D, but for me an emormous screen is most important 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next