It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:25 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:20 pm 

I guarantee this movie will be a huge success. Too many Tolkien fans for it not to be.

As for comic movies after Superman 4... Well, I would say that they really got into their stride after that. You had the Burton Batmans (his best movies, to my mind), Tank Girl (trashy but funny), The Crow (well, the original was good)...

Superman and Batman are both getting reboots, the Marvel universe has translated very lucratively from ink to celluloid, the Hellboy movies were brilliant...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:48 pm 

The comic movie reference was just an analogy. Superman 4 come out in 1987. Two years of quiet and we get the first Tim Burton Batman in 1989, which lead up to the disastrous Batman & Robin in 1997. There was silence (in the library!) until X-Men in 2000 and Spiderman in 2002. It wasn't until the commercial success of those films that other comic movies started getting greenlit, even lesser franchises such as Daredevil and Constantine. Now we get 2-3 every summer, but it will only take one major box office flop (especially after minor ones like the Edward Norton Hulk or last year's Green Lantern) to see that ship sail. We even started see a resurgence in fantasy adventure films following the success of the LotR trilogy and the Harry Potter franchise, but after tripe like Eragon and that god-awful Dungeon Siege movie, the pool has nearly dried up. I'm worried this could happen to other potential films that can't get backing due to a jaded hollywood stereotype. (look at Warner Bros - they had a general ban against female leads, Zach Snyder talked them into it with Sucker Punch, and it had a generally poor box office performance, reinforcing WB's stupidity)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:30 pm 

The Edward Norton Hulk was a success, wasn't it? Certainly when compared to the Bana Hulk.

Everyone I know who is into their Tolkien (not a huge amount of people, but I don't know that many people) are all intending on watching The Hobbit several times when it comes out.

I think people still do not take fantasy seriously (although Conan performed well, and I have some hope for the John Carter movie), but see Tolkien as an exception.

It helps that Tolkien has such a strong fanbase.

I think the problem is not the genre, but directors and producers inabilities to take it seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:38 pm 

Luc wrote:
I think the problem is not the genre, but directors and producers inabilities to take it seriously.

I very much concur with that statement!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:33 pm 

It's odd how they can't take magic and dragons seriously, but a little green man jumping around and throwing spaceships around with the power of his mind is fine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:32 pm 

Saw a full theatrical trailer for The Hobbit yesterday (not the 10 second teasers from previous months, but a full 2-3 minute trailer), and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't psyched. It definitely rekindled all the enjoyment I had a decade ago with the original three films. My concerns about hollywood's fickleness remain, but I'll be happily in line for tickets during opening weekend.

The best part of the trailer was when a younger Bilbo dropped something and the camera closed in on his puzzled face, and I leaned over to my wife and asked "why is John Watson so short?" She gave me a puzzled look for a second, then started laughing. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:53 pm 

Just remember that LotR and The Hobbit(s) are not Hollywood, technically.

Hell, that has been a lot of the problem in getting the Hobbit off the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:55 pm 

Out of curiosity... Which trailer was it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:38 pm 

I really hoped to see an Elfstones of Shannara movie. But Mike Newell made the Prince of Persia instead :cry: Although the Prince was a fun movie :D
But now I have hope for the Hobbit and I think that it will be very successful. I have noted that the success of a book or a movie depends mostly on the popularity of the source material. LotR, Narnia, Harry Potter and Twilight are very popular books, same about the movies. Eragon, Percy Jackson are big, but not huge - so was the movies. Dark is Rising is obscure - and so was the movie... So for me there is no reason for the Hobbit to fail. I think that it will be huge, actually.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:39 pm 

There are too many people waiting for the movie (many are more interested in the sequel, to be fair) for it to not make a lot of money at the box office.

Of course, it can be argued that revenue is not the only way of judging the success of a film.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next