It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Asian Films
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:09 am 

Okay, how soon can this be on my cinema please. NOW would do just fine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... c_JmcRxdx8

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

and .. what what! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1717715/ ... there's a chance we'll have a half decent monkey king???

Post subject: Re: Asian Films
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:35 pm 

Generally my enthusiasm for movies made from manga or anime is pretty non existant but this one seems to be worth watching.
Although I really doubt it'll end up appearing in any Belgian theatre. I had heard some stuff about it on tumblr before, but I hadn't seen a trailer yet.

I'm generally not that into Asian cinema, they've got some movies I really like for sure and a couple I still want to see, but generally they're too hard to get in Belgium for me to want to bother. The only thing that seems to be readily available here is the really crappy stuff, the really main stream stuff or the horror movies :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:16 pm 

I *always* watched subbed, dubbed makes my teeth explode. Can younot get good subbed even?

I'd recommend nearly anyone to watch one of stephen chow films.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:16 pm 

I can NOT stand dubbed. I will rather stab myself through the eye with an ice pick than watch dubbed.
Well dubbed live action that is, I can deal with dubbed cartoons or anime, JUST.

The only case where I prefer dubbed over subbed is the Hellsing Ultimate anime because the voices are just better than the original Japanese.

The problem isn't being unable to get subbed, the problem is not being able to get anything decent. I don't want to pay a lot of money to get it imported to be honest, that just interferes with me buying Japanese music. I like music more than I like movies :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:17 am 

I agree, subbed is the way to go. Not that I have any choice since my GF is a reasonably fluent Japanese speaker, and so she flatly refuses to watch dubbed anime.

:lol:

Thanks for the heads up. I will look forwards to the Rurouni Kenshin, and will REALLY look forwards to the Monkey King. I remember watching the Journey to the West TV series from the 60's (actually called Monkey Goes West) on BBC 2 in the 70s. Can't wait to see a more modern adaptation, although strictly speaking this movie seems to be a prequel/origin story for Sun, and I will have to wait for the next two to get to the actual story of Journey to the West.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:31 am 

There was a new monkey series made in japan a couple of years ago and i read that some tv company in the UK bought the rights to it. But nothing seems to have come from it.

There was a fabulous clip of Masaaki Sakia playing a cameo in it on youtube, but I can't find it anymore.

Never mind, Donney Yen :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:45 am 

Ohh, hadn't heard about that. I should look into seeing if I can find it over here in the US. One of the advantages to living in California, just outside of San Francisco, is relatively easy access to Japantown and Chinatown.

And dating a 1/2 chinese girl doesn't hurt. Her mom's family finds interesting chinese movies all the time, and oddly enough even though she doesn't speak more than 4 or 5 words of Cantonese, she is relatively fluent in Japanese. Go figure. :D Which makes finding things in Japantown much easier.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:41 pm 

(can't watch youtube at work, so apologies if my reply seems off)
By "half decent monkey king" are you referring to the Jet Li/Jackie Chan movie "The Forbidden Kingdom" or a different film?

In terms of chinese cinema, I loved Hero. The visual style of that movie was simply breathtaking. I regret it was filmed before the "HD" craze, because this is a movie that would have exploded on blu-ray. And in full agreeance on subbed movies, films like that must be watched in their native language.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:37 pm 

Oh God! The forbidden kingdom was painful. My eyes still haven't recoved. This is an all new Donney Yen film called The Monkey King.

I think my personal favoutite film is ... Spirited Away.

Which is cheating a little bit, for live action films it would be a toss up between Iron Monkey and The Seven Samurai.

I will give you Hero's prettyness though :)

ETA: The youtube link and the imdb link in my first post are for two different film.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:59 pm 

Fineous wrote:
Ohh, hadn't heard about that. I should look into seeing if I can find it over here in the US....Which makes finding things in Japantown much easier.

Can you get melon bread? One sure sign of an anime addict is ...i want some melon bread!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next