It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Dr Who
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

So, what do people think of the new Matt Smith Dr? (ok, not that new I grant you!).

I have to admit I was expecting more from Steven Moffat. After his two parter Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead (never mind Blink!), the new series seems a little flat?
Maybe I was expecting too much? Or DT was a better actor that MS?

As someone who watched the very first episode when it was broadcast in 1963! Maybe I'm not the target audience for the new seasons ??

Post subject: Re: Dr Who
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:11 pm 

I object more to the style of "rebooting the reboot". With the introduction of the 11th doctor, all references to the previous 4 years is seemingly gone (with the very brief exception of River Song and the Weeping Angels). No reference to Torchwood (much less Captain Jack) or any of his previous travels and companions, new sonic screwdriver, new TARDIS interior, etc. It's like the producers are trying to make it into a whole new show - AGAIN.

Matt Smith is... well, the best I'll say is "OK". He comes across entirely too goofy - I can't take him seriously, especially when he's trying to sound authoritative. I also feel he's entirely too young to "look" the part of the doctor, and he's constant "bow ties/fezzes/suchandsuch are cool" irks me. I'll keep watching out of sheer joy of the show, but the last year was very disappointing for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

And of course River Song and the Weeping Angels were Moffat creations any way, so I guess they were bound to be back.
In fact if you listen to 'Silence in the library' when River goes through her 'Tardis' book/diary she mentions the ship in the 2 parter in the next season.

Who likes the redesign of the Dalek's then ?. . . . No, I thought not.

What I hoped, what I really wanted to happen was MS to have one season. I thought I'd seen what they were doing with DT last line 'I don't want to go'... I thought he'd come back as I've never seen a Doctor fight against regenerating.
But no... But maybe you never know, if DT can't make it in the US and if this Shakespeare he's doing with Catherine Tate doesn't do as well as they hope (which it will of course. . .).

Exit left muttering. . .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:21 pm 

Those were Daleks?! I thought they were skittles!

I wish Russell Davies would return to the production team. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Russell's off in the US heading up the their reboot of Torchwood.

Capt Jack and Gwen will be back, but gods knows what the show will be like. . .

I've reports that it starts with a couple of FBI agent looking for the old Torchwood team (FBI agents? 2?? surely not).

Although I also know that Jane Espenson is writing an episode, so you never know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Starting to get the trails for the new season on BBC1.

They are saying this season will be darker then the last (thank the gods).

And we find out who/what River is ! (if anyone cares?).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:21 pm 

I now have a shirt that (like Larry Nightingale's) says "The Angels Have The Phone Box". My geek heart runneth over!

Just as an example of how truly geeky I am, I also have one that says "BPRD" with a logo of a fist bearing a sword in it. Points if you know where that one comes from.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:07 am 
Site Admin

SaraCVT wrote:
I now have a shirt that (like Larry Nightingale's) says "The Angels Have The Phone Box". My geek heart runneth over!

Just as an example of how truly geeky I am, I also have one that says "BPRD" with a logo of a fist bearing a sword in it. Points if you know where that one comes from.

That would be Hellboy, Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defence. (no wiki was used in this answer, I am that much of a geek!).

I have a felling, but I can't find a picture at the moment, that a similar logo was used for Empire Earth as featured in the mirror universe in Star Trek !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:21 pm 

No, it's an Earth with a sword through it:

http://www.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~tw ... iverse.htm

Trying very hard to avoid spoilers for Doc Who at the minute.

Managed to watch none of the trailers, and keeping well away from anywhere on the internet that discusses it. It's one of the few programmes I want to know nothing about when it starts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:55 pm 

I pulled up YouTube and watched the trailer for the 2011 season. I agree that it does look darker, hopefully much less goofy than the last year... I was kind of hoping that Amy Pond would be out of the picture by now (with that whole "this is the last one" talk at the end of the Christmas special). I didn't recall seeing any pictures of the Doctor's sonic screwdriver, since he broke it (again). I wonder how they will work it back to being blue at some point in the future, since that's what River Song had in the library episode.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next