It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dr Who
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:55 pm 

To be honest I'm still HATING on RTD over ruining Torchwood.
So the further he stays away from Doctor Who the better I like it.

Not that Moffat is doing such an outstanding job all the time mind (Angels take Manhattan anyone).

I liked the season's end in the way that I liked the episode.
It's just a large part of the fandom (not anyone from this forum) that annoys me heaps.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Info on the 50th anniversary show is slowly appearing now...

Interesting that it'll have Tennants Dr and Rose... But will it be the Dr from his own timeline or the copy and Rose from the other dimension?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:28 pm 

Based on the past way these multiple Doctor shows have gone, I imagine it'll be the Doctor and Rose from their own timeline, and not the alternate one. Probably something time crash-y like the one with Peter Davison and Tennant for the Children in Need special.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:14 pm 

Just watched the BBC trailer for the 50th anniversary special. Wooo! Looks like it's going to be a busy one, focusing on what happened in the Time War (which was somewhat alluded to by Clara in the episode where she found the library). About time we get a peak in the lore behind the series reboot! I'm still curious how John Hurt will fit in, only 12 days until we know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkq8pnvsnQg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Alyindar wrote:
Just watched the BBC trailer for the 50th anniversary special. Wooo! Looks like it's going to be a busy one, focusing on what happened in the Time War (which was somewhat alluded to by Clara in the episode where she found the library). About time we get a peak in the lore behind the series reboot! I'm still curious how John Hurt will fit in, only 12 days until we know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkq8pnvsnQg

I have a feeling that John Hurts Dr will be a dark version. I don't think they'll let a 'standard' Dr (if you get me) wipe out the Daleks and the Timelords in the Time War. That would explain the line of dialog in the last ep about not doing something 'In the name of the Dr...'.

Or it might be something else :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

The prequel to Day of the Dr... Night of the Dr.

Major spoilers, but answers a LOT of questions. Watch at your peril.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:44 pm 

Omg that was awesome! Thanks Steve. :D Paul McGann regenerating into John Hurt in the middle of the Time War, so that makes him The Doctor 8.5? I remember Matt Smith's Doctor addressing himself as "11" a couple of times, so either this is a major retcon, or Moffat has chosen to make this the version of the Doctor that even he tries to forget.

Which brings the next question - traditional Time Lords only have 12 regenerations for a total of 13 lives. Doctor 8.5 means Matt Smith is the 12th incarnation, so either that makes Peter Capaldi the final Doctor (which means Valeyard somewhere?), or we'll have a "deus ex machina" moment and something will happen to allow him to regenerate ad infinitum. I'm betting the latter, since the show is too popular to risk cancelling at this point in it's lifecycle.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:16 pm 

Well originally they said that timelords only had 13 regenerations to avoid overcrowding Gallifrey. So they CAN regenerate more.
Frankly, Who is the BBC's cash cow, so I very much doubt that this will be the last doctor, especially with all the revenue they're slurping out of the US atm.

Frankly, I've gone REALLY sceptic about Doctor Who lately, and I've come to the strange realisation that I just don't even care about new episodes of the show anymore (yes I know, strange coming from the fangirl with the Doctor Who tattoo, but it is how it is). Sure I'll watch the 50th anniversary episode the day after (when I've managed to get hold of it and if I can even be bothered, I may just read the summary on wikipedia) and hopefully it'll rekindle my enthusiasm for it.

I just got fed up with the giant plotholes and bullshit Moffat comes up with. The Beeb needs to stop giving their writers carte blanche. It always ends badly when they do that. Point in case: RTD with Torchwood.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Alyindar wrote:
[img]

Which brings the next question - traditional Time Lords only have 12 regenerations for a total of 13 lives. Doctor 8.5 means Matt Smith is the 12th incarnation, so either that makes Peter Capaldi the final Doctor (which means Valeyard somewhere?), or we'll have a "deus ex machina" moment and something will happen to allow him to regenerate ad infinitum. I'm betting the latter, since the show is too popular to risk cancelling at this point in it's lifecycle.

I'm going to show my geekness here!

In The Five Dr's (long, long ago). The Timelords offered The Master 'A whole new series of regenerations' if he helped the Dr... So there are ways to beat the 13 lives rule.

They could always come up with something new, ie having wiped out the Timelords the Dr gets all their regens?

Who knows...

And, Hilde, I agree to a point. Moffat was a far better writer (the Library, Forests of the Dead, ect) than a show runner. But I still watch even though it's very uneven now...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:49 pm 

I regret I haven't watched much of the original run, so my Who-trivia mostly comes from Google and Wikipedia, where "Your Mileage May Vary" is an occupational hazard.

I believe the Time Lord's regenerations came from the Eye of Harmony that was created by Rassilon. However since that was on Gallifrey when the Time War ended, I would presume that it has been lost or destroyed (though we may found out more in the anniversary episode).

I'm going to stick with the "deus ex machina" form, where no explanation will be given, it'll just happen and be "another one of those things".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next