It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:59 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dr Who
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Kingfisher wrote:
No, it's an Earth with a sword through it:

http://www.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~tw ... iverse.htm

A whole page of 'em !! Wow, you always know when an idea's stuck a cord! (a whole series set there might have been fun, but very, very depressing! I loved the 2 parter in Enterprise. So many geek moments).

Kingfisher wrote:
Trying very hard to avoid spoilers for Doc Who at the minute.

Managed to watch none of the trailers, and keeping well away from anywhere on the internet that discusses it. It's one of the few programmes I want to know nothing about when it starts.

You might not want to read rest of this thread then, I feel we might be referring to the trails and some net spec. . . (sorry).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Alyindar wrote:
I pulled up YouTube and watched the trailer for the 2011 season. I agree that it does look darker, hopefully much less goofy than the last year... I was kind of hoping that Amy Pond would be out of the picture by now (with that whole "this is the last one" talk at the end of the Christmas special). I didn't recall seeing any pictures of the Doctor's sonic screwdriver, since he broke it (again). I wonder how they will work it back to being blue at some point in the future, since that's what River Song had in the library episode.

Spoiler space.. Kingfisher, you were warned!!

Moffitt's saying it'll be MUCH darker and, I personally hope, a return to story's like Silence in the Library and Forests of the Dead.

I have heard a whisper about Amy Pond, but I'm not sure I should repeat it??

I'm sure the screwdriver will be back in the old form at some point. Moffitt is nothing if not a continuity fan.

The Neil Gaiman script sounds like a blast, if only for the title!

And we are supposed to have a resolution to the whole 'Silence will fall' thing from last year!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:39 pm 

Steve wrote:
That would be Hellboy, Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defence. (no wiki was used in this answer, I am that much of a geek!).

Ah, I should have known you wouldn't be stumped by that one. Thanks, you make me feel not quite so dorky. No one here seems to have a clue. Guess this neigborhood just isn't cool.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:16 am 

I'm looking forward to the Neil Gaiman story. He's such a grim author with a firm grasp on the absurd, it should be fun to watch!

Sara, if its any consolation, you stumped me! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:26 am 
Site Admin

I think more people knew, it just they wanted to keep some small shred of self respect... Mine faded away years ago . . .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

New series just started !!

Oh, yes. Very dark, very good, more please !!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:42 pm 

OK, what did we think of the premiere? I, personally, have a couple of questions. First off, why did River Song behave the way she did when the Doctor died? She knew she had a future with him that hadn't been fufilled yet, so he couldn't die for good here and now--in fact, they, that very team, had brought him back from a universe that had ceased to exist, so a simple death? Think your way around it before you burn the body, for crying out loud!

Second, how does Moffat get around Matt Smith be the last actor to play the Doctor? Unless that death somehow becomes invalid, that's it for the character.

Anything else?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

I loved it !!

point one; I think it was established a while back (can't remember where now) that Time Lords own timelines are flexable, so in the circumstances he could die with and the timeline would realign around the event.

point two; I think he's death will certainly become invalid. I can see by the end of the next ep the timeline with be 'in flux' again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:22 am 

I think I'm going to respectfully disagree with your point one. In THAT VERY episode, Amy Pond says despairingly, "Time can be rewritten!" and River tells her firmly, "Not always, it doesn't work like that." I watched "Silence In The Library" and "Forest Of The Dead" today, just to bring myself up to speed on River Song and the Doctor's first meeting (at least for him), and she seems to hew a very strict line about not messing around with his timeline. That's not the only time she has said that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:15 pm 

The following post will contain, as River Song likes to say: "Spoilers".

The thing my wife and I discussed the most about this episode was who shot the Doctor in the beginning. My wife thinks it's River Song - River's made comments before that she is in prison for killing "the best man [she's] ever known", and the blast that hits the doctor all three times is green, similar to the gun River used in the Pandorica episodes. I contend that it can't be River, since she was in jail prior to receiving the envelope and heading to Utah, and would therefore have already performed the aforementioned homicide. Therefore, if it were River who shot the Doctor, she would know better than to shoot a gun at her past self. Of course, being the fact that there's freaking time travel devices everywhere, this could technically be a River from further down her personal timeline that we've not seen, or she was in prison for non-Doctorcide related crimes, and this is the one that eventually slams on the big sentence, but I find those both to be too comic-book-y to be worth considering.

Either way, I have to side with Steve with the belief that the death we witnessed will become invalid. I doubt we'll see resolution to that particular arc prior to the mid-season break, but the foreseeable future will most likely have a lot of companion-angst over the matter.

So, side note: did anyone else find The Silence unnecessarily monstrous? Doctor Who's aliens have always been a tad on the creepy side, but its like they went an extra effort to make this new monster disturbing. I'm confused how these creatures are related to the TARDIS exploding in the last season however. I'm worried that the production team is writing themselves into a corner, and will need (yet another) deus ex machina moment to get themselves out of it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next