It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:58 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dr Who
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:36 pm 

I have mixed feelings about the 50th anniversary episode. I've seen it a couple of times (including in a packed movie theater, which was a fantastic experience) and have thought quite a bit about it.

The Good: The acting was great (I have a big man crush on Tennant, and it was so wonderful seeing him back in the role of The Doctor again), the adventure was romping, and the tribute to all the Doctor's was amazing. I want a poster of the closing scene as the camera zoomed back on all 12 Doctors standing there. Tom Baker showing up as the Curator at the end was a wonderful moment, and the whole theater erupted into cheers at that scene. I'm glad I had already seen the show before the theater, because you couldn't hear the dialog for a good 5 to 10 seconds.

The Bad: I expected some more about the "Time War" that has been in the Doctor's recent past when the series rebooted, instead of it just being a MacGuffin. Additionally I was really sad that Rose wasn't a "companion", instead just a projection of The Moment and the 10th Doctor never interacted with her. John Hurt's Doctor was fairly flat, and other than a few good lines ("'Timey Wimey'? What's wrong with talking like a grown up?") he really didn't bring much to the character

The Ugly: From everything that's been said in the lore since the reboot, there was a reason the Doctor used The Moment to destroy Gallifrey and Skarro, then time locked the whole event. The Time Lord's themselves had become corrupted by power, unleashing nightmares in the name of "the greater good". In the show they even referenced this: "It's not forbidden anymore, we've used them all in the war against the Daleks". At the end of Tennant's run, Rassilon himself tried to destroy all of space and time in order to transcend. They had become monsters, and in his desperation the only way he saw to save the rest of the galaxy was to be rid of them.

Through this retcon that they weren't destroyed but "removed" from space, Moffat has created a way to reintroduce Time Lords into the series. While I applaud looking to the longevity of the series, I highly object to this particular direction. It completely contradicts the lore that's been building, and that's a major turn off to me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

As a stand alone ep I wholeheartedly enjoyed it. I thought it was a real 'grown up' ep.

I felt the fact that Rose wasn't Rose as such helped it. We've seen Rose and Tennents Doctor. Time for something new.

The camera work was great as were the effects (mostly). Also a (very) quick glance at Capaldi's Doctor. Great.

The writing was a return to form for Moffat, nive to see he can still do it!

But I have to agree with Alyindar, Moffat has a task to somehow rewrite the last Tennant 2 parter. Which I guess was why the action on Gallifrey was in the War room and not the High Council.
How he's going to resolve the 'Rassilon's mad as a bag of cats' issue should be interesting.
I can see the next series being the quest to find the Timelords (who will, of course, be so grateful they'll grant the Doctor a whole new series of regenerations and secure the series for another 50 years). :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 pm 

Much as I had been desillusioned with the fandom, I absolutely LOVED the 50th anniversary episode. I possibly enjoyed it so much because I went into it with the lowest expectations possible, but it had all the elements of Doctor Who that made me love the show so much to start with.
And they brought back Tom Baker! I mean, that alone made the entire episode for me :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:25 pm 

So I've seen two episodes of the current series with 12, and I have to say I am unconvinced. I don't know, it's not like Capaldi isn't a good Doctor, it's just that he's not my kind of Doctor I suppose. And whilst the first episode was at least well put together (mostly), the second was just, not very good.
I find myself putting off watching other episodes, I'm now 2 or 3 behind, I can't even remember.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:02 am 

I'm now (after the atrociousness that was the robot of sherwood) enjoying the new doctor, there have been some good episodes.

And I admit, I do love Peter as an actor and am very very sad he won't be continuing on with the musketeers!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:12 pm 

I'm there with Hilde. I've been watching the show with rapt attention since 2009, but now I can't even be bothered. I just don't like the character of the 12th Doctor, he's not "the Doctor" to me. Capaldi does a passable job with what he's got, but the character itself has fallen flat.

Just like Hilde, I've pretty much fallen behind since the Sherwood episode. Highly doubt I'll try to catch up... It makes my inner fanboy very sad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:04 am 

The sherwood episode was the worst of the series.
I'm probably watching last weeks and this weeks episodes tonight since they are a two parter with cliff hanger last week...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:18 pm 

Still not caught up with the series, I've kinda reached the point where I'm happy to pick it up again when there's a next doctor and hope that'll be better.
Never thought I'd see the day where I'd give up on Doctor Who, but there you go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:08 am 

I don't think we need a new Doctor, but i think it's getting time for a lead new writer.

After the ick that was the penultimate episode, I haven't bothered watching the last episode of the season...i should before the christmas special really...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:57 am 
Site Admin

smaug wrote:
I don't think we need a new Doctor, but i think it's getting time for a lead new writer.

After the ick that was the penultimate episode, I haven't bothered watching the last episode of the season...i should before the christmas special really...

I think the current (and last few) sessions have proved that Moffet is a far better script writer than a show runner. He needs the time to invest in a script (The Library and Forests of the Dead) rather than splitting his time to edit other peoples work (and slip in all these 'fan boy' references...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next