It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:08 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

I had grave misgivings when it started and was very unsure for the first 2 eps, but I'm really into it now.
Yes, its very Hollywood (which is the reason I was only 50/50 at the start), but it seems to work in the new USA concept. And it would seem that the BBC were unlikely to commission a new series on their own.

I'd love to see Ianto back (and for that matter Owen and Tosh. You never saw Owen die you know. I saw an interview with Burn Gorman who said he like to think that Owen found a way out and was living under Cardiff as king of the Weevils!).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:22 pm 

I wasn't sure I was being fair to Torchwood, by not liking the new season so far. It's felt really Americanised and slow, and I've only really been watching it because it's Torchwood. But this episode (Ep 7) was awesome. And that's because it was pretty much oldschool Torchwood. It was just like one of the old monster of the week stories, all wrapped up nicely in a single episode, and it was so good. I'm going to keep watching, just to see where it goes, but I'm pretty sure that if they keep making Torchwood with Davies' "great big plan", it's only going to get worse. They really need to go back to monster of the week.

Oh, and just to up the awesome stakes, anyone catch the Sarah-Jane Adventures reference, to the trickster brigade? Great fun.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Very interesting !

Yes, the reference to the Trickster brigade is a typical RTD trait and now he seems to have got Jane Espenson to include them too. There was one at the end of Turn Left in Who series 4. The insect on Donna's back was called 'one of the Trickster brigade'.
(did you notice what must be the start of the triangle symbol ?).

Can't say too much as the ep doesn't air in the UK until Thursday and don't want to spoil it for people that haven't seen it yet. But its nice to see the plot moving forward. . .

I just hope that the obvious explanation isn't the one they're going for ??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:09 pm 

The best I can give Miracle Day is "ok". The last three or so episodes have been "meh" material, drawn out just to make the series longer. I suspected at the beginning that this whole "miracle" was an effort to get at Jack, and the story with Angelo makes me think "hell hath no fury like a lover scorned". The teaser for next week's episode leads me to believe that the miracle is about to end, and the consequences are going to be pretty significant. Here's to hoping the new Torchwood crew pulls through!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:52 am 

I completely missed Thursday's episode and I don't feel like I missed out at all.
I think this may be the end of me bothering with Miracle Day.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hilde wrote:
I completely missed Thursday's episode and I don't feel like I missed out at all.
I think this may be the end of me bothering with Miracle Day.

Last Thursdays was a cracker (Lots of people were upset by A; the gay sex and B; the high level of violence in one section. But what were they expecting??).

It advanced the plot a great deal, had references to the Doctor, started to explain what that triangle symbol might mean and great interaction with Jack and Gwen.

Don't stop watching now, there are only 3 more to go. . .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:39 am 

You may have to email me on Thursday just to make me remember to watch it Steve, I know myself, I'll just forget to watch otherwise.
But if you like it so much, I'm happy to give it another go (if I remember/get reminded to watch it haha). If only so we can waffle about it on here ^__^

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:31 pm 

I just realised I forgot to watch Torchwood again.
And I still don't feel like I missed out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:53 pm 

Torchwood: Miracle Day has come to an end. It (predictably) wrapped up cleanly, but left just enough unexplained to leave you pondering. Despite the very obvious pitch for another season, I have trouble forseeing any more in the future. A shame, I'll miss what Torchwood used to be.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:35 pm 

I miss the Torchwood from season 2.
I'm sure someone will tell me how it ended eventually :)
Chances are big I'll just forget to watch the finale this Thursday.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next