It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: DC Comics on Television - Arrow and The Flash
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:01 pm 

I started watching Arrow a couple months ago on Netflix and really enjoyed it, and then watched through the season finale on Hulu last night. I'm surprised how the CW pulled the series off - the acting was pretty decent, the story was interesting, and as they were characters I was not very familiar with it let me enjoy it without any preconception.

Now CW is taking one of DC's bigger titles and making "The Flash". Jesse Martin's name immediately stood out to me as a long time fan of Rent and Law & Order, so I checked out the extended trailer on YouTube below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g

One of the things I thought interesting about Arrow is that, with the exception of the "super soldier serum" in the last season, it was mainly about people with exceptional training and skill, as well as some pretty bad ass technology. The Flash, however, is going full super hero.

I remember the last attempt at a Flash TV series back in the early 90's, and it came across rather campy with a mediocre plot. I'm hoping the CW will do more justice to the title!

Post subject: Re: DC Comics on Television - Arrow and The Flash
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:57 am 
Site Admin

US TV seem to be going into overdrive with SH/comic book series. Mostly, I'm sure, due the success of SHIELD (sorry no .'s, I can't be bothered!). And even that was floundering until the 'events' of the last half of the season.

The odds are we'll get the usual scatter gun effect where they'll be a shed load of series and 90% of them will last a season (or less). With one or two standing out.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:37 pm 

I was a big Marvel comics fan in my youth, and for the most part I've enjoyed the recent movies, but I was hot & cold on Agents of SHIELD. On one hand I think the writers/producers took a challenging step trying to take an Avengers-esque approach to a television series, but at the same time the "mystery of the week" format really drug the series down. Like you said Steve, it was floundering until the the episodes after Captain America: Winter Soldier - and I should say I appreciate that they kept to the continuity by tying the television series into the greater ongoing Marvel cinematic universe.

That said, Arrow took a different approach. It's stand alone from the various Batman/Superman/Green Lantern films (so far), and while the tone is overall gritty, it still retained that "adventure" feel, with more overall continuity and less "mystery of the week" format. I'll be curious to see how The Flash evolves after it premieres, if it will retain the same spirit that Arrow has been working with.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:22 pm 

Eh Arrow, it's so and so in my opinion, I basically sat through the entire series because it "accidently ended up on Bert's computer" *coughs* in full. Well season 1 at least, I'm still trying to struggle through season two of which I've seen about half. So I think I'll give the next season and The Flash a miss.
Probably.