It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Nightside Movie.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:54 am 

And that reminds me of a line from a song: Write Like the Wind (George R. R. Martin) (YouTube link):
Quote:
And if you keep writing so slow
You'll hold up the HBO show...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:10 pm 

I thought Martin was writing deliberately slowly so that the series catches up with the books (with a potential for getting the books closer to the series).

Also thought he was being allowed a fair amount of creative input on the matter. Certainly, the reports state he was on set a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:53 pm 

I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but another option to see the Nightside on a screen could be animation. The only budget there is the animation studio and the actors to voice the parts. Like it was pointed out earlier, I'd want the author heavily involved in the creative process, and of course given a truckload of money too! :D

That said, stay away from Japanese animation, and for the love of God don't let Tim Burton near it! Johnny Depp as John Taylor, and Helena Bonham Carter as Suzie Shooter, I may puke...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:15 am 

I think it might be interesting to see the nightside as an animation but I think it could work with japanese animation. Not the, I guess the best word would be traditional, anime like Code Geass or Soul Eater but something that has a more westernized fell like Black Lagoon (I watch a lot of anime). I think Deathstalker might be better animated though, plus easier in terms of backgrounds and special effects.

Slight off topic but has anyone considered a Nightside graphic novel or webcomic? I've looked through the dresden files ones and having read the books I felt they were very close to the writing and plot. Might be interesting to have a weekly updated webcomic based in the Nightside be focused on some other character like Dead Boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:24 pm 

Seriously not a fan of anime, so I would really rather steer clear of animated.

In fact, I'd love to see something with 'real' effects rather than CG where possible. Look at what Guillermo Del Toro's effects company can do with model work, for example.

Any Burton involvement may end up with him being shot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:34 pm 

Luc wrote:
Any Burton involvement may end up with him being shot.

I agree with this on general principle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:29 pm 

This was mentioned on another writer's forum for his series (F. Paul Wilson, Repairman Jack) and I wanted to mention it over here too because I think it would work with The Nightside just as well. I'll just copy and paste his post:

Quote:
So a few years ago I posted a n idea for a Premium channel (Hbo, Showtime) RJ TV series. It was well received and a lot of good discussion followed. A few years past and I came back to continue on the forum but forgot both my username and password. So I just created a new one to discuss Netflix.

Now I know that our hero FPW has been fighting the good fight to get some sort of film or tv adaptation forever, and I am sure he is sick of it all together. All I can say to that is thank you for your continued effort, and we all still pray/hope it bears fruit sometime. But on to my point...

Should it ever bear fruit I think Netflix would be a perfect fit for an RJ series and here is why. Those of us who have netflix instant know that for the last year or so , it has been adding more and more original programming for our viewing pleasure. And for the most part imho, the quality has been stellar. You only have to look at Kevin Spacey in House of Cards for proof. And whats even better is that due to the sales of seasons on dvd and netflix like subscription services, people have been getting used to and wanting every episode of each season right away, one after another. So netflix releases the entire season for us to devour as fast as we please.

Now the Founder of netflix has said that eventually he wants netflix to be 60% original programming, and the rest movies on demand, so it's safe to say he is hungry for more tv show ideas, and waiting for the one show idea to make netflix a must have subscription service. Its Dexter, Its Game of Thrones if you will. I believe in my heart of hearts, that Repairman Jack is that show. While I always hold out hope for netflix to bring back something like Carnivàle, I would happily drop all other movies channels to have RJ.

Now like I said, I know that RJ is in development hell, and that its still far from coming to fruition, I simply think that should it ever come to that point, that Netflix would be a wonderful home for our man Jack. Thank you all for your time.

Marty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:25 am 

So long as they release a hard copy format (DVD or Blu-Ray), since that's the only way I tend to watch movies or series such as these.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:04 pm 

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to animated, as long as it's not crap CGI. CGI should be left to Dreamworks and Pixar who do it well.
And that aside I'm still a huge fan of traditional animation.

But that aside, I'd prefer a live action movie or tv series as well. And I agree with Luc: as long as they release it on DVD, and preferably on a format that plays in Europe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:41 pm 

I've actually given a lot of thought to a cast for the Nightside movies. I'm going to do an all-time cast, and a practical current day cast
First of all, I would prefer that they were not traditional movies at all, but rather something along the lines of HBO's Game of Thrones. Considering the manner in which the BBC has treated Dr. Who and Torchwood, I would say that they should be involved in the production.

John Taylor: John Barrowman (Jack Harkness; Torchwood/Dr. Who) would make a GREAT Taylor. He is both my all time and current pick for this part. Barrowman can be serious and silly by turns, occasionally mixing the two. This ability is fundamental to Taylor.

Oh Christ, its Her, run!!!: Suzie Shooter is the hardest to pick a current actress for. It requires a true Valkyrie to play the part, but none really come to mind. The acting style of Gina Torres (Zoe Washburne; FireFly) is what is needed, but her skin and hair color doesn't fit. All Time.... Darryl Hannah circa Kill Bill could easily pull off this role.

Henry Walker: Current....Kevin Spacey..... watch K-Pax, Se7en, and American Beauty and tell me that I'm wrong. All Time.... Michael Caine

Razor Eddie: Jackie Earl Haley (Rorschach; Watchmen) need I say more?

Dead Boy: again, I'm at a loss for a current actor..... All Time: Keifer Sutherland circa The Lost Boys

The Walking Man: Really? Clint Eastwood current and all time.

The Griffin: Sir Anthony Hopkins... maybe also Merlin Satanspawn

The Lord of Thorns: Sir Ian McKellan

Alex Morrisey: Ryan Reynolds.....not perfect, but I couldn't think of anyone more suited.

I'll be back with more picks later

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next