It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Nightside Movie.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:41 am 

I've always thought that The Nightside books should be adapted as a cable tv series by HBO or Showtime. They have done excellent jobs of adapting Dexter, Game of Thrones and True Blood which all started out as popular book series. The cable adaptation would mean that the more adult oriented content would not need to be watered down for audiences. I have also always pictured James Marsters as John Taylor. I know that he's American but his portrayal of Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer is very close to how I imagine John Taylor and his British accent is excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:45 pm 

I'm going to have to disagree with you spooky. HBO/Cinemax tends to insert too many unnecessary sex scenes just to draw attention. They did it with Game of Thrones and certainly with True Blood, and the True Blood series has just gone completely over the deep end and away from the novels. I worry that they would do the same thing with a Nightside series. Keep it British, or keep it out. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Alyindar wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with you spooky. HBO/Cinemax tends to insert too many unnecessary sex scenes just to draw attention. They did it with Game of Thrones and certainly with True Blood, and the True Blood series has just gone completely over the deep end and away from the novels. I worry that they would do the same thing with a Nightside series. Keep it British, or keep it out. :(

While I have to agree, the problem would be (for any HBO deal) that they offer a wheelbarrow load of money to the author.

I don't know the details of the GoT contact, but as a rule there's a BIG up front payment and then a percentage of the total budget as a fee (usually between 2% to 5%).
Now the reported budget for series one of GoT was quoted as 50 mil US... which might explain why GRRM is looking soooooooo happy these days.

Also Charlaine Harris has the same agent as Simon, I've meet her at a few con's, she's also a very happy lady :)

While it would be a very nice thing to take the moral high ground and say, no, I want it made this way or not at all, if you had that kind of money waved at you the moral high ground would start to look less and less like a smart move? (or maybe I'm just an old cynic).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 pm 

To counter that, all I would say is:

Look what they did to Constantine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Luc wrote:
To counter that, all I would say is:

Look what they did to Constantine.

Again, I agree. But that's they way the movie business works.

They buy the rights (for a shed load of money) but they want to make the movie they want to make.
An author has no power or control, that's made clear in the contracts. If you try to add a level of control they'll take it out or just walk away from the deal if you press the matter.

This process in not a level playing field in any way, shape or form.

The author is given a huge fee in part so they'll not make waves and just walk away...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 pm 

Doesn't always work like that.

Look at the original Hellraiser movie. Or Sin City.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:02 am 

It does help if the original writer is also the (or a) director.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:37 am 
Site Admin

It's down to luck, there obviously have been good transitions from the page to the screen.
But you either have to have a 'name' wanting to play the lead and understand the material. Or, have a producer or director that are fans and are in a like mind with the author.

One option is to take the money and run on the first project (and risk the rage of the fans), and start you're own production company and make your own image of your own work.

The main problem with any Nightside movie would be the cost of the fx's.
Any fx heavy productions adds many layers of complexity and as well as multiplying the budget.
It would take either a major studio or a TV budget the like of Game of Thrones to do it justice...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:20 pm 

The ideal, then, would be to find some people in the moving picture industry that are also big fans of the material or, at the very least, find a studio that would be happy to let the author/creator retain creative control.

Good luck with that... :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:51 am 

All excellent points. I was unaware that was how the payout for Game of Thrones went, makes me wish I hadn't given the idea to Mr. Martin... :lol:

However I'm looking at it as a fan, and not as someone who can make money off it. And my stance is: BACK OFF PARASITES! *brandishes a torch*

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next