It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Any Firefox experts out there ??
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

I had Windows 7 install an updated on Sunday the 22nd of April. Not a problem as a rule. . .

Now after 20 minutes FF is unusable. It takes over 5+ seconds to switch between open tabs.

Opening a new tab takes up to 30 seconds and while a new tabs opening FF doesn't respond to anything.

Any page which requires text entering lags by a good 5 seconds for every key press.

Scrolling is totally random, sometimes a line, some time a screen and, again, lagging, move the scroll wheel and sometime later the page might move...

Hovering over a button, nothing is detected for, again, a good 5+ seconds and even then press any on screen button lags for many seconds before anything happens.

If I restart FF the problem clears for 20 minutes and then is back.
I've tried disabling add ons and extensions, no changes, I've updated to FF v12, no change. I've uninstalled and reinstall, still no change.

In any event FF is this state is painful to use and I'm being forced to switch to something else, which , after I've spent months tweaking FF the way I want it, is flustering to say the least.

I've tried to roll back a restore, but the Sunday night update didn't create a restore point! Nice one M$!!
Both IE and Chrome work without a problem, the issue is only with FF.
Task manager shows FF using only between 2% and 24% of cpu time, so its not maxing out the system.

The laptop has 8 gig of ram and an i3 cpu which should be enough for any browser to run smoothly.

Can anyone see something (anything!), I've missed or can suggest a fix???

Post subject: Re: Any Firefox experts out there ??
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:49 pm 

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-firefox- ... -run-fast/

Tried speedyfox? (You are not the only one I have heard having this problem.)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:43 pm 

I think you identified the problem with "I had Windows 7 install an update"... :lol:

My first guess would be a memory leak. I assume you run Win 7 in 64-bit mode to take advantage of the 8 GB memory? Did you disable all extensions installed by Firefox? (Tools menu -> Add Ons in the version I'm using now) Something in the Win7 update might have hosed a Firefox config file (although Firefox is pretty straight in its install), so you could try uninstalling Firefox completely, then re-install, importing your bookmarks/personal settings, re-install any extensions fresh, and see if the problem persists. Make sure after uninstalling you ensure all directories are deleted, such as C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla\Firefox and C:\Users\[your_userid]\Application Data\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox or something to that effect (not on a Win7 system now to remember the correct path, sorry), and then reboot to flush any Firefox DLLs from memory.

Or, ya know, nuke the whole computer, and re-install everything from scratch, but that's a bit extreme at this point in the troubleshooting process.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to both of you.

Yes, I had disabled everything, no change.

Its a fairly new install of 7 any way. I like to nuke it once a year and start with a fresh install.

The odd thing is, after a very frustrating 2 weeks of lagging like there's no tomorrow its suddenly working fine again! Nothing updated, nothing (as far I as I can tell) has changed? Its just started to work normally again!

I just put it down to the ghost in the machine. . .

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:40 pm 

Exercise it!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:40 pm 

Maybe you have some pictures from the Judas Ghost shoot you forgot to share, you better upload everything just to make sure!

:D

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:59 pm 

That was a good day! :p