It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Self Publishing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:19 pm 

**Disclaimer**
I spend a fair amount of my online time discussing religion, I am a very spiritual person (I'll call myself religion when I finishing codifying my religion).

One site I frequent is 'The Wild Hunt' a blog site by Pagan journalists. A recent article they have posted discusses self publishing, via an interview with an author who is well known in Pagan circles.
**End Disclaimer**

The religious element is pretty easy to ignore, but the article/interview is pretty good.

What do you guys think of self publishing, as an avenue for authors?

My thoughts on the matter are partially selfish - if Simon self published, it would be easier for me to get his books, since he is not currently published in the UK.

Post subject: Re: Self Publishing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 am 
Site Admin

The usual arguments against self publishing are, that if the work was any good an agent would take on the author and get a publisher for them.

Over the years I've read some truly terrible self published work, bad plotting, poorly constructed character that don't stay true. And even bad spelling, which in these days of spell checkers is unforgivable in any medium.

Yes, there are some success stories in self publishing, but the law of averages means there's bound to be at some point.

As for established author's self publishing. The main issue is that, as a rule, these days their agent will sell world rights to a publisher (usually in the US). That publisher will then sub the work out to other country's.
The problem at the moment would appear to be unrealistic expectations by publishers in the smaller areas (ie the UK).
The upshot is that an author can't self publish because he doesn't have the rights to, as odd as that sounds.

The industry is going through changes with the advent of ebooks, but certain area's and publisher seem to want to resist change because they prefer the old model.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 am 

I suppose each form of writing (Spiritual/Fiction/History/Etc) are all very different, as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

Luc wrote:
I suppose each form of writing (Spiritual/Fiction/History/Etc) are all very different, as well.

Hell yes.

SF and Fantasy are still a very small market unless you write Vampire teenage romance. In which case you've an audience of millions who'll buy just about anything because they have no 'real literature' to judge it against.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:02 pm 

For some reason, I always thought SF/Fantasy was a major genre. I suck at knowing mainstream cultural trends.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:59 am 

Steve wrote:
Hell yes.

SF and Fantasy are still a very small market unless you write Vampire teenage romance. In which case you've an audience of millions who'll buy just about anything because they have no 'real literature' to judge it against.

[/quote]

I believe no one explains the sentiment on supernatural romance as well as the Two Lumps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:35 pm 

I loathe the supernatural romances out there.

I am proud of the fact that I coined the phrase "Just because a doughnut has a hole, does not mean you should fuck it!" in relation to supernatural romance. (Notably erotic vampires.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:57 pm 

Luc wrote:
I loathe the supernatural romances out there.

I am proud of the fact that I coined the phrase "Just because a doughnut has a hole, does not mean you should fuck it!" in relation to supernatural romance. (Notably erotic vampires.)

This is the best quote I have ever seen :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:13 pm 

I thank you. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:41 pm 

The only supernatural romance that is allowed to exist at all is the cast of misfits from Molly Harper's Half Moon Hollow universe. But only because she's poking fun at the genre by being awesome and delightfully cliché.
The entire affair is probably best described as "Gilmore Girls with fangs".
Generally I want to burn supernatural romance on holy ground, but this I do enjoy.

Of course, we could debate that it's all Bram Stoker's fault in the first place, but I rather not go there.