It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Deathstalker-Star Wars Thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:14 pm 

Something which me and Luc decided to start in the movies forum. There are some similarities between Star Wars and the Deathstalker Saga, mainly because they are both kinda science fantasy or, as Tracy Hickman described it, a galactic fantasy. There is a rebellion, an Empire, sword fights and mystic power. The Deathstalker however is way more gritty and bloody and I think that the characters and the creatures are significantly more powerful, although in the Star Wars books there are some heavyweights as well.
What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Deathstalker-Star Wars Thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:58 pm 

I think that parallels can be drawn on a superficial level, but that Deathstalker is a lot more detailed.

Deathstalker has a lot more of a grimmer feel. To put it another way, Vader would be lucky if he could hustle pool in Mistport without getting mugged.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:53 pm 

It is true. I don't think that any character in SW could survive for long in the Deathstalker verse, at least if there are Maze survivors in it.
Star Wars is more romantic than Deathstalker, more cheerful and more mainstream because of that. I love it, BTW, since I was a kid. When it finished in 2005, I was in tears and I was a grown boy, 20 years old or something, not a kid. That's why I started reading EU novels - read and read and read until Legacy of the Force disappointed me. I needed something better, something in the same vein, but different. That's how I discovered Deathstalker. When I started reading it, I was shocked, because it was very gory, very, very gory. But when I get accustomed to this, I loved the series. It was big and vast and epic and with awesome characters. What I needed. I love almost everything Mr. Green has written, but for me Deathstalker remain the best.
And it is because of the genre, I think, the genre of Star Wars, the so called galactic fantasy. This is true epic - a fight for a whole galaxy and more. But Green has written it perfectly - just as Lucas has created it before...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:01 pm 

You need to read the Trawn trilogy haven't already done so I'm a big Star Wars fan but I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that the story line in those books are better than any of the movies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:15 pm 

Valentine Wolfe wrote:
You need to read the Trawn trilogy haven't already done so I'm a big Star Wars fan but I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that the story line in those books are better than any of the movies.

I disagree. It is very well written, but too SyiFyish for Star Wars, no sense of wonder at all. I think that the Darth Bane trilogy is the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:29 am 

I agree that Deathstalker is much more gory, detailed and somehow more hardcore than Star Wars.

But there's a very good reason for that. Star Wars is written to please the masses so it has to be sort of light and "easy to approach". Whereas Deathstalker has a narrower audience and can be written as such.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:26 am 

Yikes, that's a massive undertaking! Mayhaps you can be the author of "The Complete Guide to the Deathstalker Universe"? :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:28 pm 

good job

spam link removed. Smaug