It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Redundant repititions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:31 am 

One of the more incisive (amateur) reviews of the Deathstalker series condemned it for its "repetitive redundancy." This is a completely fair observation and one I held myself after reading the first two novels. I didn't need the characters or their exploits re-re-reviewed every time I re-encountered them.

After reading Deathstalker War, I think I have figured it out. This "novel" was very obviously written as four separate novellas. The copyright page of the book doesn't indicate that it was ever published in separate chunks, but the structure makes it obvious that this was the intention, if not the fact. The weakness, then, lies in the fact that these separate novellas were combined into a single book with no effort at editing. This sharply pointed out a similar weakness in the first two "novels." Thus the entire series ends up a a batch of giant books wherein some 20% of the exposition is a repeat of something we've read twice already in the same book. and five times in earlier books.

I'm enjoying the books. But it is starting to piss me off to have to read 800 pages to actually get 600 pages of new material.

And if you are listening, Mr. Green, I will personally give you $1000US if you never, ever again write "...and, once he found it, it was the easiest thing in the world to..."

Post subject: Re: Redundant repititions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 am 

Aww, but when John Taylor delivers that line it's said with style! :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:22 am 

I personally like the repetitions - they are like the praises in old epic poems.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:45 pm 

Those repetitions serve two real purposes. One, they are style (case in point the John Taylor line you used). Two they were designed so that you could pick up a book in the middle of a series and actually sort of understand what is going on. He does a fantastic job of that. I do agree with you on Deathstalker War though. That was very clearly meant to be 4 novellas and some of the repetition mid book was slightly irritating, but nowhere near as bad as I believe you are making it out to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:53 pm 

No kidding...

What about "And they became a much greater force than the sum of their parts"