It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 pm

All times are UTC

Would Deathstalker work as a TV series?
Yes it would, get on the screen as soon as possible. 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
No, it need the scope of the big screen. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, any media version would ruin it. 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Deathstalker as Game of Thrones...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

I've just watched the whole of the first series of Game of Thrones and I'm struck by the similarities to Deathstalker.

Huge plot, man, many, many characters, political intrigue and backstabbing...

Do you all think Deathstalker would work as a big budget TV series?

10 episodes per book, 5 series ect.
And what about casting?

All I can come up with off the top of my head would be Stephen Fry as the voice of Oz !

Post subject: Re: Deathstalker as Game of Thrones...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 pm 

Depends. The question is, of course, how popular is Deathstalker? And how easy is it for the mass market?

Game of Thrones is doing well because it's not been hamstrung by poor publicity or minimal markets. It had a big following before the show, and that's only increased. I've seen a lot of people reading the books recently.

Would Deathstalker get that sort of response? Maybe if there was another, more recent book to give it a bit of a boost.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:53 pm 

Steve wrote:
All I can come up with off the top of my head would be Stephen Fry as the voice of Oz !

Stephen Fry could make the final scene with Oz (when he takes over Owen and Hazel's bodies) sound like a perfectly sane and rational thing to do!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:43 pm 

Deathstalker is just too big to fight on a screen, unfortunately. While it would be lovely to see in an extended series format (ala Game of Thrones), I would stress too much over the source material to enjoy it fully. That said, however, I would love to see an entirely new story set in the Deathstalker universe, either in film or tv format, similar to The Judas Ghost film and the Ghostfinders series. This was such a brilliant idea to avoid the failings of other book-to-tv transitions (such as True Blood and the Dresden Files).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:04 pm 

Ya know, just in case, I'd like to pull Sir Connery out of retirement and give him the role of Giles! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:11 pm 

I think it would do far better as a television series than as a movie. A series gives the opportunity to have more in depth characterisations.

That said, I'd go with the extended 20-26 episode 'full season' format, rather than the short-run 10 episode 'mid-season replacement' format that GoT has.

As for casting...

I have to vehemently disagree with Alyindar on the casting of Sean Connery in any role. As much as I like him, I don't think he'd work for Deathstalker.

Casting would be tricky, as that depends on budget and (primary) target audience.

I still say that Jack Black would make a great Tobias Shreck, along with Dave Grohl as his faithful cameraman, Flynn.

What I would be tempted to do is run Ghost World, Mist World and Hell World as one-shot features first, to generate interest and create background (not to mention introducing some characters.)

Also, I wouldn't do the 'sequel trilogy'.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Kingfisher wrote:
Depends. The question is, of course, how popular is Deathstalker? And how easy is it for the mass market?

Game of Thrones is doing well because it's not been hamstrung by poor publicity or minimal markets. It had a big following before the show, and that's only increased. I've seen a lot of people reading the books recently.

Would Deathstalker get that sort of response? Maybe if there was another, more recent book to give it a bit of a boost.

Sales are in 7 figures I believe and book one has never been out of print. It's in something like its 23rd printing at the moment.

The chance of there being any more are remote at the moment, the publisher just doesn't want any. IF there was a series they might change their minds, but that would be the only way I'd have thought. . .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Luc wrote:
I think it would do far better as a television series than as a movie. A series gives the opportunity to have more in depth characterisations.

That said, I'd go with the extended 20-26 episode 'full season' format, rather than the short-run 10 episode 'mid-season replacement' format that GoT has.

As for casting...
I still say that Jack Black would make a great Tobias Shreck, along with Dave Grohl as his faithful cameraman, Flynn.

What I would be tempted to do is run Ghost World, Mist World and Hell World as one-shot features first, to generate interest and create background (not to mention introducing some characters.)

Also, I wouldn't do the 'sequel trilogy'.

The money at the moment (in US TV) is in short run, high quality series, I'm told. Like GoT. I've heard some numbers mentioned about the budget and they are way high!

US TV always wants 'something like...' what ever's doing well at the moment...

Which is the point, the dream scenario would be a director/writer that knew the story and wanted to make it, with perhaps Simon as co-writer or script consultant... and shed load of money obviously ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:38 pm 

Fair points, well made.

Who would you want to direct/co-write the series?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:12 pm 

I have to say that it would not work because it would need a budget per episode much larger to Terra Nova but and even the Terra Nova with its huge budget still looked pretty bad a lot of the times when they were showing dinos. Now don't get me wrong I really enjoyed Terra Nova a lot but the effects in the later books just seem to expensive to be feasible. But as always just my take on things.