It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Deathstalker 1-3 from Audible, 4-8 from Graphic Audio - why?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:39 pm 

After discovering the Forest Kingdom recordings on Graphic Audio's website I then found the last five Deathstalker books, but not the first three. Eventually I tracked them down to Audible, and that prompted me to sign up for a subscription deal (I've got the first three books, and am currently wondering whether to extend the subscription or cancel it).

The Audible recordings are by the same people (Rohan, Aselford, Savard et al), so I'm wondering why they're not also on the Graphic Audio website. Is this a rights issue? Is something else going on?

The quality of the recording of the first Deathstalker books is "mushy", even on Audible's "enhanced" format. I don't know if this is because it was an early endeavour by the Cutting Corporation and they were still finding their feet from a technical perspective, or if it is because of what gets done to the recordings in the course of preparing them for sale via Audible. Certainly, the difference in recording quality between the Deathstalker recordings and the Forest Kingdom recordings is blindingly obvious. The latter recordings, even in "lossy" MP3 format, are clearer and brighter than the former. ( I haven't yet listened to Deathstalker Honour, so I don't know if the poor recording quality continues throughout the series.)

Post subject: Re: Deathstalker 1-3 from Audible, 4-8 from Graphic Audio -
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:03 am 

I assumed Graphic Audio bought out the contract.

I think the quality improved as Graphic Audio made more money from this (and other) series at the time.

Post subject: Re: Deathstalker 1-3 from Audible, 4-8 from Graphic Audio -
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:09 am 

From what I understand, Graphic Audio is the one who produced all 8 Deathstalker novels. Audible.com purchased the rights to sell the first three on their website, but never picked up the rest. If I had to venture a guess, they probably had an agreement to buy the rest of them from Graphic Audio if the first three sold well, and either didn't see the numbers they wanted, or never got around to it. Either way, Graphic Audio is a solid vendor and they have received quite a bit of my money in the past. The Deathstalker works are some of their earliest so not up to the same quality level as the Hawk & Fisher audios, but very good none-the-less.