It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: opinions on audio books
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:46 am 

I would like to hear people's opinions on audio books. What is the market for audio books like? Do you think audio books are just for the car ride home or do you think there are people who preferres them over reading the book themselves? Do you preferre them to have BGM and different voice actors for different characters or just one narrator reading the story?

Last edited by josette on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: opinions on audio books
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:58 pm 

I love audiobooks. I tend to read really fast, and skip details... so, audiobooks force me to listen to every word at a certain pace and really immerse myself more in the story. I also enjoy the inflection that the voice actors use. Graphic Audio did an amazing job with the Deathstalker saga.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:44 pm 

My day-to-day schedule was getting very crowded with various things that needed to get done and left little time for reading. I switched to audiobooks so I could listen while I did other mindless tasks and it's just made me so happy. I can still enjoy the books that I want to read and get stuff done. Mindless tasks also includes work. They don't mind that I listen on a portable mp3 player (with only a single earbud so I can still pay attention if someone asks me something). I tend to listen my whole shift, so that's at least 40 hours a week.

Now the quality of audiobooks. Graphic audio is the best I've listened to. With a full cast, sound effects, and music the whole thing is excellent. Some things that I've listened to where there are multiple voice actors had good reasons and didn't distract for the story but enhanced it. Dan Simmons' first Hyperion book had a voice actor for each of the main characters for when they told their story. Chuck Palahniuk's Rant and Haunted both have many voice actors because they're compilations of stories told by many people. I understand World War Z is the same but have yet to get to it having read the book years ago. Some dual voice actor productions seem redundant. A story that switches from one person's POV to anothers.

Going to each individual voice actor. It's important that they have a pleasing voice. Sometimes they affect an accent for a particular character and listening to it grates on my nerves. But if it's not for the whole book then I'll be fine. Or matching what the characters are doing. I recently listened to an audiobook where two characters where driving in a convertible and yelling to be heard. So I got yelling in my ear for several minutes. It's better than flat monotone though. That makes me lose interest while listening. It's playing directly in my ear and I'm not paying attention. When I do I can understand that there's witty banter going on in the story, but it's told in a humorless voice. I also don't think that each character needs a fully developed unique voice. Just different enough so I know it switched to someone else talking. Also, male voice actors shouldn't talk in falsetto for a woman's voice, and women should talk in a deep voice for men. Both sound like someone holding their breath while talking.

A good reader can make anything listenable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:00 pm 

One of my biggest complaints about audiobook narrators is when they sound completely uninterested in narrating. For example, as much as I love the Dresden Files books, I absolutely cannot STAND James Marsters narrating the audiobook. He just sounds bored, with big heavy breaths because he's too close to the mic, and so little emotion into the various character roles. Maybe he got better after the first few books, but personally I can't stand them.

One of my favorite narrators is Douglas Adams, who narrated all of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Dirk Gently series back in the 80's. He sounds like he's just having a good time reading his own books! And even though some disagree with me on this board, I loved Marc Vietor narrating the Nightside books. He gave the perfect performance to set the stage for the seedy dark heart of London.

I use audiobooks in much the same was as Alvin. I have a desk job with a long commute, so audiobooks fill in the white noise in both. I often re-listen to books I've enjoyed, such as the various SRG series or David Edding's novels if I feel nostalgic. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:46 pm 

I just can't get to grips with audiobooks. Much prefer to just read the book myself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:55 pm 

Aylindar,

Marsters got MUCH better as the series went on. His narration of Changes was amazing.