It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Anti/Heroic themes in BMR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:33 am 

Hello All!

I am a professor at a university and this fall I had my freshmen class read Blue Moon Rising, which they all loved- of course! I have given them numerous assignments dealing with heroes, from defining heroes in today's American culture to making their own definitions and seeing which characters from the novel fit their role of 'hero'.

I now turn to you; as fans, you know that there are numerous possibilities in these novels and you have different insights and information that may be relevant to the topic of the class.

As a class we have discussed the mythical creatures, heroes and heroines, gender roles, and class structure. Can you think of anything else that may be of interest to first time readers? Perhaps a connection to Green's other works that I can have them read a section of? Or a reoccurring theme we have yet to touch on?

Thank you all for your help. :D

Post subject: Re: Anti/Heroic themes in BMR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:02 pm 

I'm glad to hear SRG's works entering the halls of academia! What university do you teach at if you don't mind me asking?

Spoilers ahead; ye have been warned.

If I was to write a paper about anything related to this book it would be a reflection of how the growing influence of the Darkwood made people more rash. For example, the landsgraves only decided to act and plot conspiracy to kill King John because of John's decision to draw the Curtana, which in turn was motivated by the encroaching Darkwood. You could almost say that the boundary of the Darkwood growing was almost a reflection of the hearts of the people of the Forest Kingdom - the larger the Darkwood, the more scared and desperate people became.

Another theme that could be explored would be King John's decision to summon the Demon Prince to begin with. His explanation was needing a common enemy to keep the barons in line, but ultimately he wanted to rule through fear that only he could lead the Forest Kingdom against this great enemy, so they better toe the line. This parallels US politics in that the common public would never replace a "wartime president", which I believe is a quote from former President George W Bush during his 2004 election campaign. In order to secure his monarchy, King John created an enemy to fight during an otherwise peaceful time.

In referencing Green's other works, I would be remiss not to mention the Hawk & Fisher series, which is a direct sequel to Blue Moon Rising. Although it's not explicitly stated that Rupert & Julia are Hawk & Fisher until Beyond the Blue Moon, there are plenty of hints along the way. And some of those books, like The God Killer, have plenty of interesting themes to explore.