It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Hawk & Fisher links?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

We can talk about it, but I'm hesitant to put up the cover image or the back cover copy for all kinds of reasons. . .

It came up at Fantasycon. Simon was on a tie in panel.

Its better then the movie because it's the whole of the script. They chopped a good third for time. And then Simon added his own 'humour' to it, which you are NOT supposed to do.
He only got away with it because they were so late sending him the script in the first place! and it went from him to the publisher and straight to the printers before they could read it!

Anyone thinking about writing tie ins, you get almost no time to do them. One guy on the panel ended up with a month to turn out an 80,000 word MS!!! He could only have a day to plot it and then had to hit 3,000 words a day (every day) to get it finished by the deadline!
No fun and despite what you might have heard, not a lot of ££

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:07 pm 

I don't think of tie-ins as being good money. Good publicity, possibly (depending on how well the film was received), but not good money. Artists seldom get paid for the effort they put in.

I figured that it must have contained bits culled from the movie.

I also think his humour saved it from being yet another plodding desecration of a British folk legend.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

You should have seen the bits that got chopped. . .

At one point from the highest tower of Sherwood castle if you looked one way you could see Stonehenge !! and the other way . . . Hadrian's Wall !

And if you recall from the film, when Robin and co arrive in Dover he's says 'Tonight we dine at my fathers castle in Nottingham' ?? How? Rocket power horses maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:29 pm 

I did see that. Does he not go via Hadrian's Wall, as well.

(I feel a burning need to point out that his father's castle was actually Old Wardour castle, in Wiltshire, too.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:39 pm 

Steve wrote:
Anyone thinking about writing tie ins, you get almost no time to do them. One guy on the panel ended up with a month to turn out an 80,000 word MS!!! He could only have a day to plot it and then had to hit 3,000 words a day (every day) to get it finished by the deadline!
No fun and despite what you might have heard, not a lot of ££

Urgh. Tell me about it. I'm staring down a tie-in deadline as we speak, and while it's not as bad as the one you mention, it's still frighteningly tight. :(

Don't get me wrong, I can't knock tie-in writing. My first two published novel credits were tie-ins, and I'm (obviously) still willing to take them on. But yeah, it's not even remotely easy.

Appreciate you going into what's up with the H&F books. I was afraid there was some bigger issue to where you guys couldn't (or didn't want to) link to 'em.

--Rodent of the Dark

http://www.mouseferatu.com